We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arriving in Punta with my wife on Feb 19 for 4 nights

Which Punta del Este hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
NJ
Level Contributor
70 posts
Save Topic
Arriving in Punta with my wife on Feb 19 for 4 nights

I am 30, she is 29. We both like to go out, party, and have fun. We're looking for some suggestions on where to stay that would be close to where the party is.

Thanks in advance!

Also, since this is our first time, any other suggestions or tips would be greatly appreciated!

Punta del Este...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Punta del Este
Level Contributor
3,654 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Arriving in Punta with my wife on Feb 19 for 4 nights

La Barra as several clubs as well as bars. There are also bars and a couple of club in the port area of the peninsula in Punta del Este itself. The season will be winding down by mid-to-late February, but places still shoud be open. The clubs open well after midnight.

The Punta area is very spread ot along the coast. You will need a car -- without one,you will simply not enjoy the area nearly as much, nor see what it offers. For example, the two best beaches are Chihuahua, a clothing-optional beach at one end of the area, and the "brava" beach in Jose Ignacio, which is 40 miles away from Chihuahua at the other end of the area.

The best place to eat lunch -- right on the beach --is La Huella in Jose Ignacio. The best places for dinner (considering both food and ambience) are Marismo and NAMM, both outdoors along a dirt road just outside Jose Ignacio.

The best sunsets are from Casapueblo in La Ballena, but they are also spectacular from the port on the peninsula. A good restaurant for sushi and drinks on the terrace at sunset is Citrus, in the port area.

NJ
Level Contributor
70 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Arriving in Punta with my wife on Feb 19 for 4 nights

Thanks for the recommendations!

Do you know any specific hotels in La Barra?

Punta del Este...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,654 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Arriving in Punta with my wife on Feb 19 for 4 nights

The best located hotel, and the best boutique, is La Posta del Cangrejo. It's almost right on the beach in the very middle of La Barra and within walking distance of all restaurants and stores in La Barra. It's beach is adequate, not great. The hotel is understated elegance, a fixture for 60 years.

The fanciest and biggest is Mantra, just outside a Barra itself. It has a great beach club, but the hotel itself is 500 yards inland from the beach. The beach where the beach club is locaed is better than the beach at La Posta.

Other choices are La Bluette, on the edge of La Barra and 200 yards from the beach; Las Ondas, actually in Manantiales but very near La Barra, and 300 yards from the beach; and Las Dunas, also in Manantiales and right smack on the beach (one of only two hotels in the entire Punta area that are right on the beach). All three of these are fine but a step down from La Posta and Mantra.

NJ
Level Contributor
70 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Arriving in Punta with my wife on Feb 19 for 4 nights

Thanks for your all of your recommedations.

New Jersey
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Arriving in Punta with my wife on Feb 19 for 4 nights

Jim,

We were reading your and the other e-mails and we are going right after you, to Punta Del Este. Please leave an e-mail if you can, as to how it was, and what to do and where to stay! We are getting there the 23 so we will have just missed you. And by the way we are also from NJ!

Bridget

Charlotte
Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Arriving in Punta with my wife on Feb 19 for 4 nights

PuntaLugano: Our family of 12 is going to be in Punta del Este for one day off of a cruise ship, twelve of us. Do you know of a tour operator we could contact for a private tour of the area? And I would appreciate any suggestions of what to do with such a short time. I have made note of your lunch recommendation, La Huella! Thank you, Patricia

Punta del Este...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,654 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Arriving in Punta with my wife on Feb 19 for 4 nights

I don't know the tour operators but if I learn about them I'll post again. I honestly haven't seen any such beasts out and about, but they must exist. I have seen buses that look like they are from the ships.

In one day, it's best just to "see the ara," which means somhow getting from Punta Ballena in one direction (where Casapueblo is located) all along the coast, through Punta and La Barra, to Jose Ignacio (where La Huella is located) in the other direction. It's 40 miles of varied coastline and varied developments. With 12, not sure how you do that.

Charlotte
Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Arriving in Punta with my wife on Feb 19 for 4 nights

Thank you for the info. Our best bet might be to find a mnivan and a driver. We are there on Sunday -- so I assume the ships will be closed?

Punta del Este...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,654 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Arriving in Punta with my wife on Feb 19 for 4 nights

The shops should all be open on Sunday during cruise season. If you're interested in high fashion ask for Calle 20, if interested in more local stuff, ask for Calle Gorlero. Both streets are right on the peninsula, within an easy 5 minute walk from where you will be put ashore.

Charlotte
Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Arriving in Punta with my wife on Feb 19 for 4 nights

That is good news about shopping. FYI, we were able to line up a minivan that seats 17, a bilingual driver, and lunch reservations at La Huella through discoveruruguay.com. They have been great so far!