We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do in Uruguay with 3 nights?

London, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
What to do in Uruguay with 3 nights?

Hi All,

Just wondered if anyone can help - we've got 3 nights in Uruguay (arriving in Montevideo by plane) before we head to Buenos Aires. Has anyone got any suggestions of what we should do? I'd like to go to Colonia and probably get the ferry over to BA from there - would you suggest staying in Montevideo for anytime or going straight to Colonia or elsewhere?

Many thanks for your help!

WDC
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
4,159 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do in Uruguay with 3 nights?

Yes, Titch, I would spend a couple of days in Montevideo before taking the bus to Colonia for a day (or an over-night with a day) before sailing on to Buenos Aires.

There is some good information on this very Forum as to areas, hotels and sites to see in Montevideo.

This is one of them:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294323-i4804-k721…

Enjoy Uruguay, and Montevideo - we certainly do, each time we spend days there.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
1,298 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do in Uruguay with 3 nights?

Montevideo is a perfectly nice place. It's attractive. There are sights to see. The food is great. People are friendly. And yet ...

Montevideo didn't knock my socks off.

You only have three days in Uruguay. It's a wonderful country. It's worth the time you can devote to seeing its sights. But if you could rent a car and drive eastward to Punta Ballena and Casapueblo, I would do that rather than staying for two nights in Montevideo. Casapueblo is truly something unique and special. Interesting architecture in a phenomenally beautiful physical setting. That should be a top priority when visiting Uruguay. It's worth at least one night, two if it you use as the place to recover from jet lag. Punta Del Este is nearby and certainly worth a visit if it's a beachy time of the year.

Colonia is a one-night stop.

Chattanooga...
Level Contributor
26 posts
556 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do in Uruguay with 3 nights?

Not sure what your price range is but you could check out an estancia. We stayed at Fina Piedra and it was awesome.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g298066-d131535…

4. Re: What to do in Uruguay with 3 nights?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, April 01, 2015