We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hi!

Bordeaux, France
2 posts
Save Topic
hi!

I've watched on tv, some years ago, about an old port in Uruguay which was occupied by hippies, who have created bars and restaurants. I don't remenber the name of this specific place. Thank you for answering me.

Mentioned in this post
Uruguay
Uruguay
South America
Montevideo, Uruguay
Level Contributor
1,266 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: hi!

Maybe you are talking about Punta del Diablo (Rocha).

It wasn´t a port, it was a fisherman town in past. In early´s 90 went handcrafters and young hippies, first time in summer, later all year long. In present day is a little vogue town

Mentioned in this post
Punta del Diablo
Punta del Diablo
Rocha Department, Uruguay
Rocha
Rocha
WDC
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
4,656 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: hi!

I wonder if you mean Punta del Diablo ? it was certainly 'Hippy" occupied; a charming fishing village, with sand dunes and few structures. I am only unsure if it was actually a port ? I would be interested to know.

In any case, we had a wonderful day there - you can get there by tender or on horseback.

Punta del Diablo: welcomeuruguay.com/puntadeldiablo/index_i.ht…

'The seaside scenery is embellished by an enormous amount of rocks round-shaped by the whims of time, emblematic tracks of the erosion caused by the sea and the wind.'

Edited: 6:44 pm, August 14, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Punta del Diablo
Punta del Diablo
Punta del Este
Level Contributor
228 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: hi!

I bet the poster is referring to Cabo Polonio. For some reason it has always been popular among French people. French tv channels have come to shoot images, there was a French guy running the buggies that took day visitors to the Cape, the company name was El Francés

Mentioned in this post
Cabo Polonio
Cabo Polonio
WDC
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
4,656 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: hi!

Oh dear, Uruguayan, I think you are correct. I got the names confused ? Cabo Polonia is what I meant.

Gracias, my friend, for the correction.

Cabo Polonio about is ~ 1.5 hour drive East from Punta del Este. There is a parking place right on route 10. El Safari del Cabo is one of a few outfitters that will take you to cabo. They have parking right there off the highway. This town is built on dunes, there are no roads so you can’t drive, you have to take a 4 x 4 truck to get to the beach - or a horse. Roundtrip is about $6pp (120 peso) Keep your return ticket to board on your way back. It’s about a 15 -20 minute drive over the sand dunes and along the beach. This place is spectacular.

Enjoy yourselves.

Mentioned in this post
Cabo Polonio
Cabo Polonio
Punta del Este
Punta del Este
Maldonado Department, Uruguay
Punta del Este
Level Contributor
228 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: hi!

Oh Marnie, by now you're more Uruguayan than me, we'll name you Travelling Ambassador of Uruguay.

Cabo Polonio was never meant to be a village, and was never a port, due to the numerous shipwecks in the area, the State built a lighthouse, but being surrounded by sand dunes it was clear the place was isolated.

During dictatorship, 1973-85, the military chiefs decided to "control nature" and its rebellious spirit, so they planted hundreds of thousands of pines to stop the mobile dunes. From the 33 original dunes, only 3 remain today. Let's see what nature decides for the future of Cabo Polonio

Mentioned in this post
Uruguay
Uruguay
South America
Cabo Polonio
Cabo Polonio
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
460 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: hi!

I do believe the "hippy" place is Cabo Polonio. There is at least one bar, but I'm not sure about the restaurants.

Here it is being checked out by Anthony Bourdain:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJaYVRql-6g

Don't think it was ever a port, but hey, I've not even been to that side of the country yet. The furthest east I've been is the airport. XD

If you go up to the river port in Salto and then inland a bit there are some hot springs, and I saw some hippy-esque-ish folks camping out around those parts, but the port, the places people were camping and the springs themselves were separated out a bit. I don't think the folks right around the port area would be prone to allow their neighborhood to be hippified too much.

But if camping is perhaps your thing, and the presence of hippies is not mandatory, there's some awesome spots up the river, both on the Uruguayan and Argentine sides.

Mentioned in this post
Cabo Polonio
Cabo Polonio
Salto
Salto
Salto Department, Uruguay
WDC
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
4,656 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: hi!

Thank you kindly, Uruguayan....I wish I were an Uruguaya.

WQst, we had a wonderful lunch in a restaurant, facing the sand and the sea...and it was one of several that we could have selected - (February, 2013). I would love to go again this coming year - and approach on horseback this time.....

Bordeaux, France
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: hi!

thank you very much for your precious and interesting answers.

So i think that it looks rather like Cabo Polonio than Punto del Diablo but it seems that the two places are amazing.

I hope to visit them very soon!

Mentioned in this post
Cabo Polonio
Cabo Polonio
9. Re: hi!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, August 17, 2014