We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

from Montevideo up the coast - any top tips

London, United...
2 posts
Save Topic
from Montevideo up the coast - any top tips

Hi, we are landing in Buenos Aries on the 27th of October from the UK and after a couple of days in the city are thinking of traveling to Monte video and then up the coast of Uruguay.

Once we have done this we are looking to head back to Argentina and head up to Mendoza way.

Does anyone have any advise of transport links and places that we might be able to get of the beaten track a little? How would you advise to get from northern costal Uruguay back to Argentina?

We are really keen to make the most of our trip and any advise, tips and secrets would be gratefully received.

Best wishes,

Louise

Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
41,126 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: from Montevideo up the coast - any top tips

"How would you advise to get from northern coastal Uruguay back to Argentina?"

It looks like by going up the coast of Uruguay, you mean a trip from Montevideo to Artigas, along the Uruguay river. Is that it or you mean the ocean coast, east of Montevideo (coastline ends in Rocha, southeast)

If you actually meant northern coast, then you can cross the Uruguay River in Salto to Concordia in Argentina.

If you are going southeast, however, the easiest thing to do is to take a bus to Montevideo and either fly back to Argentina or take Buquebus (boat) from Montevideo to Buenos Aires.

For bus transport in Uruguay, you pretty much get all the schedules and estimated fares by visiting the Tres Cruces website, bus terminal in Montevideo. The site is in Spanish. Unfortunately, if you stop in point A and want to continue to point B, you will need to ask once you there. OR pick the farther place on your route in the Tres Cruces sites, and see where buses stop along the way.

http://www.trescruces.com.uy/horarios.php

Silvia

London, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: from Montevideo up the coast - any top tips

Hi Silvia thanks for your advise, i actually meant travelling up to punta del diablo along the coast.

we were thinking of hiring a car so we can do it in our own time and stop where we like. Can anyone recommend a reasonable car hire firm in Montevideo? We do not need a new car just something that’s reliable and legal!

Would it be an option to drive from the coast up to Fray Bentos/salto and cross in to Argentina there leaving the car behind? We don’t really want o have to go back to montevideo with the car and are keen to head over to Argentina for a week or so. if you think it would be better to get the bus from montevideo then tht might be easier and cheaper?

thank you in advance

Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
41,126 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: from Montevideo up the coast - any top tips

Driving in Uruguay is fairly easy, so yes, I agree that renting a car would be best. You can drive east to see the coast line which is indeed very beautiful. Just remember that October is still a cold month. It's fall in Uruguay. Still worth the trip.

On your way back, you'll be better off dropping the car in Montevideo to avoid a hefty drop-off charge. I don't think that you can take a rental car to cross to Argentina. You can always do the "litoral" -- the westnarea boarding the Uruguayan river, then cross to Argentina in Salto or Fray Bentos if you don't want to go all the way north.

As to rental agencies, I have always rented from international rental companies. In fact, in Uruguay I think I only used Budget and rented out of the Punta Carretas office to avoid the airport fee. I prefer to rent from international rentals be ause if something goes wrong, I can always deal with headquarters in the US instead of having to deal with a local company over the phone. But that's my thing. I'm sure there are good local companies too that people use without issues.

Always buy full coverage. At least US credit cards that offer theft and other coverage, don't include liability (read the small print) and that's a very important insurance to have. I see that you'll be there in early November but just in case you rent past November 15th, make sure you ask for the VAT discount.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294064-i4294-k579…

Silvia

4. Re: from Montevideo up the coast - any top tips

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:18 pm, December 14, 2013