We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

IVA (VAT) tourism discount Nov. 15-March 30

Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
40,296 posts
242 reviews
Save Topic
IVA (VAT) tourism discount Nov. 15-March 30

FYI, the Uruguayan government has announced a tax refund for the upcoming tourist season.

Up to 22% of IVA to non-residents paying with a foreign credit or debit card in restaurants and bars (even hotel restaurants but not for accommodations) and car rentals (without driver).

For more information, here's the press release (which covers more than just what I've summarized above). It's in Spanish but you can switch to the English version on top of the screen:

turismo.gub.uy/component/k2/item/3443-se-anu…

What I can't tell from the press release is if this is a refund that you collect when you exit the country by showing your receipts or if it is a discount given to you at the time of purchase.

Does anyone know? In the past, when I used it, it was a discount, but the press release refers to a refund.

Silvia

Edited: 12:20 pm, September 30, 2012
Punta del Este
Level Contributor
228 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: IVA (VAT) tourism discount Nov. 15-March 30

So you complained and nobody (not you nor them) noticed the discount was phrased on the receipt... and you got the free macchiato on top of the discount! Nice strategy :) lol

Boston...
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: IVA (VAT) tourism discount Nov. 15-March 30

I am in Jose Ignacio right now and ate at La Huella.

The detailed recipt from the restaurant says that the VAT has been reduced from 22% to 13% and the reduction will appear "en el momento del pago de su tarjeta."

This seems to be the earlier law and not the current one.

A restaurant from last night in Punta charged the full 22% with no notice of reduction.

Any ideas or comments?

Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
40,296 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: IVA (VAT) tourism discount Nov. 15-March 30

I was in Montevideo in late October, before the VAT discounted started. I ate at La Pasiva in Carrasco and paid the full VAT. To my surprise, when I got my credit card statement there was a separate entry for a VAT refund. It may be the way it is normally processed.

Silvia

Punta del Este
Level Contributor
228 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: IVA (VAT) tourism discount Nov. 15-March 30

Not every restaurant adheres to the reduction of the vat if paying with a card issued overseas. It's a measure promoted by the Ministry to incentivate tourism, but it's entirely up to the venue.

Boston...
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: IVA (VAT) tourism discount Nov. 15-March 30

Just checked my AmEx recent activity.

The second restaurant shows the full charge and then another line item shows a 22% rebate. Yay!

La Huella's charge shows in full with no reduction whatsoever -- neither 22% nor 9%.

Southern California
Level Contributor
9 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: IVA (VAT) tourism discount Nov. 15-March 30

We just returned from Montevideo, and I was mystified by the IVA LEY 17934 Montevideo credits on our credit card statement. What a happy surprise to find this thread. We charged meals at a restaurant, and the credit came through later.

Just another reason we would recommend visiting Montevideo and not Buenos Aires (many reasons)!

London, United...
Level Contributor
38 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: IVA (VAT) tourism discount Nov. 15-March 30

I just checked my bank statement and I got a refund on my card of 87 URU pesos on a purchase made with my debit card. I spent 530 pesos. It seems like they recognise a foreign card and automatically apply a refund. Now I understand why the waitress asked me for the name of my bank. Hope it helps.

Sao Paulo, SP
Level Contributor
156 posts
Save Reply
18. Re: IVA (VAT) tourism discount Nov. 15-March 30

Hi, guys,

Does anyone know any other country doing the same??

WDC
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
4,161 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: IVA (VAT) tourism discount Nov. 15-March 30

DH and I have gotten quite a few charge-backs from commercial venues. Adds to the lovely feeling of spending time in Uruguay. Maybe they'll continue this summer practice into 2014 ?

Montevideo, Uruguay
Destination Expert
for Uruguay, Montevideo
Level Contributor
1,236 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: IVA (VAT) tourism discount Nov. 15-March 30

Good news: yesterday, the Uruguayan government has announced they will extend the package of measures until winter vacation (July 1º to July 12).

So, refund of VAT (22%) in card payments in bar, restaurant, catering and car rental is extended, also extension of "tax free", returns of 10.5% of the holiday card payments through realtors too.

Fuel Voucher of 500 pesos (25U$S) is the only measure that is not extended

Edited: 11:58 am, April 02, 2013