We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alaska to Uruguay beaches

Anchorage, Alaska
9 posts
Save Topic
Alaska to Uruguay beaches

My wife and I fly from Alaska to BA on 3/16 and fly out to Santiago on 3/26. We will stay a few days in BA, ferry across the river to visit colonial towns, and then drive to the beaches north of PdE. We are lookin for a laid back, relaxing beach town, with good food and restaurants. Not PdE. ?Piriapolis ?La Paloma ?Jose Ignacio ?other places? (I've looked at the last few month's postings)

Do we need reservations at the hotels/posadas or can we just drive up and find good places in the towns or at the beaches?

Should we rent a car in BA? or Colonia? or Montevideo? Is there a ferry for cars across the river?

Thanks for any help you can give. As you can see, we leave in a week.

Tim

San Francisco
Level Contributor
466 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Alaska to Uruguay beaches

sweet, that's exactly what I was hoping to hear..

I'm flying in from Porto Alegre now.. and will be arriving even later!

is jose ignacio easty to find?. do I have to drive through the city streets of PUNTA?

thanks

Montevideo, Uruguay
Level Contributor
384 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Alaska to Uruguay beaches

It's very easy. Drive all along Punta del Este "rambla" , you'll arrive to "La Barra" (10 km). You'll find there a brigde there to enter "La Barra". You'll be on ruta10. Follow that rout about 25 -30 km and you'll be in José Ignacio.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
466 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Alaska to Uruguay beaches

nice, sounds easy enough... so La Rambla is the main road in Punta?.. does the road from Montevideo go directly there?

thanks renata

pelkey

Montevideo, Uruguay
Level Contributor
384 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Alaska to Uruguay beaches

From Montevideo to Punta del Este: Ruta Interbalnearia which ends in Punta del Este.

This rout changes its name there to Rout 10 (Though everybody says "Rambla").

Follow this rout straight to the bridge that leads you to La Barra and from there to José Ignacio , always following this rout.

It's very easy.

La Rambla is not the main street in Punta del Este. This rout go along the edge of the beaches.

The main street in Punta is called GORLERO. You can visit it one day while you're here. It's full of stores and restaurants.( and peopole!!!)

San Francisco
Level Contributor
466 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Alaska to Uruguay beaches

nice, I get to drive along the beach?.. is it a busy road a'la Ipanema/copacabana?

obviously on a smaller scale..

thanks again for all your help Renata.. I'm printing this out for reference!

16. Re: Alaska to Uruguay beaches

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:19 am, August 24, 2009