We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Abu Dhabi - New Years Eve

Sunny Lancashire
Level Contributor
20 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Abu Dhabi - New Years Eve

We're in Abu Dhabi from New Years Eve through to 3rd January - staying at the Royal Meridien... on our way back from spending Christmas at Cape Panwa in Phuket.

Both mid 30's, no kids. Can anyone recommend any good New Years Eve celebration events - anything from lively parties to decent atmoshpere restaurants? Are there fireworks? Any particular area where people congregate at midnight?

I'm struggling to find any reference to New Year events - either on Time Out Abu Dhabi website or just by googling!

Final query. We're spending one night at the Hilton International, just as a stopover on the way out to Thailand. I booked the Royal Meridien on the way back, only because I've stayed in the Royal Meridien in Dubai and thought it was excellent. Anyone got any comparisons between the Abu Dhabi Royal Meridien and the Hilton.... as it's not too late to swop!

Abu Dhabi
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Abu Dhabi - New Years Eve

Last year I was at the Hiltonia Beach Club (part of the Hilton you will stay at) and they had a hip hop DJ from the UK and there were about 500 people getting hammered, including underage teens. I will try to book something earlier this year or go on a trip. Most of the hotels have events but they sell out early. When you are in the city on the way to Phuket check around at the Hilton, Royal Meridien, Le Meridien, Sheraton Resort, Millenium, and Beach Rotana to see what events they have for New Years.

Both the Hilton and Royal Meridien are great hotels. They both have a good selection of restaurants. Probably the hotest place to be on New Years will be the Jazz Bar next to Hemingways in the Hilton. The Royal Meridien is set up like a courtyard with the pool in the center and restaurants/bars surrounding it, so they will probably have a large outdoor event. The Le Meridien also has a large courtyard with restaurants/bars all around.

The weather is nearly perfect at that time of the year so it's a good choice to come then (and not as much traffic as Dubai).

Abu Dhabi
Level Contributor
66 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Abu Dhabi - New Years Eve

Rumour has it that since it'll be a religious holiday at the same time, the Eid Al-Adha (after the pilgrimage to Mecca), there would be no alcohol served on New Years Eve, and thus no hotel parties either... However this is true or not is difficult to say, rules that are applied one year may not be applied the next, or it might be just for the first day of Eid (probably 30th) and not all the days. In any case these kind of things are always organised a bit late by the hotels , I think Christmas and new years happenings use to be announced in detail starting end of November or beginning of December.

A few years ago when Ramadan fell at the same time as the Millennium celebration (and thus no parties and alcohol) we went on an organsied desert safari with belly dancing, dune bashing and barbecue and so on, those who wanted brought their own champagne and opened it at midnight, no one minded. You could have a look at

http://www.nettoursdubai.com/abu.htm

for instance. No info yet about any New Year safari but you could write and ask I suppose.

abu dhabi, uae
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Abu Dhabi - New Years Eve

shakira in emirates palace..

abudhabiliving.net/event/shakira-abu-dhabi-n…

:)

4. Re: Abu Dhabi - New Years Eve

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, August 22, 2009