We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxi update!

Abu Dhabi, United...
Level Contributor
664 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Taxi update!

In the last few days the taxi situation at Abu Dhabi airport has changed. You have to get a minibus now, which is metered and starts at 25 dirhams. A typical trip into the city will be approximately 100 dirhams at quiet times.

Hopefully the authorities will see sense and allow the normal taxis to pick up as well, otherwise they have to return to the city empty.

I am sure I am not along in thinking a bio 7 seater bus is a waste of resources for a lone traveller.

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
20 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taxi update!

Hi Alex

Do you know what the fair would be to Yas Island from airport?

Paul

Lake District...
Level Contributor
236 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taxi update!

Presumably people will share the minibus and the fare is divided by the number of people? Can't quite see how this will work out for different destinations for drop off. This cost is much higher than the previous airport taxis.

Sussex, England
Level Contributor
61 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taxi update!

We got a minibus taxi on 28 November to the Beach Rotana hotel in the city. Cost was about 80 dirhams.

I've got a broken foot at the moment and climbing into minibus with crutches wasn't easy! A normal taxi would have been much easier but that didn't seem to be an option.

Abu Dhabi, United...
Level Contributor
664 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taxi update!

It is not a shared minibus - it is a taxi. I was informed at the taxi rank that "normal" car-taxis are no longer permitted to pick up at the airport. And indeed my minibus-taxi into town was overtaken by empty car-taxis. I have been told since that they will sometimes allow the normal car-taxis to pick up passengers if there are no minibus-taxis free, which makes me find the inconsistency even more ridiculous.

I paid 84 Dirhams to Reem Island at 3:30 am with no traffic at all. For a downtown location and peak hour traffic that could easily reach 100 Dirhams. For Yas Island I guess the fare would be about 50-60 Dirhams.

I felt ridiculous for me and my one suitcase to be in such a huge vehicle. Fine I suppose if you are with a group travelling together but in my view this should be an additional option to taxis and not a replacement.

Another point to note is my driver did not seem to know how to drive the vehicle properly or know his way round the city.

5. Re: Taxi update!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, December 10, 2014