We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

15 hour stopover!

north west
Level Contributor
5 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
15 hour stopover!

My elderly parents have a long transit time at Abu Dhabi on the way to Sydney. i really want to book them a return car and a day at a hotel, to relax and eat etc. But can anyone advise if they have to collect their baggage as well as get a visa, and then check the baggage back in again for the Sydney flight. This might be too much for them, in which case, I may have to book the not great-sounding airport hotel!

Manama, Bahrain
Level Contributor
436 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 15 hour stopover!

If their baggage is booked straight through from their flight origin to Sydney then they will not see their baggage in Abu Dhabi (this would usually be the case but check with the airline to verify) - so they would only have hand baggage to carry with them out of the airport.

As for visa it depends on nationality if they get visa on arrival in UAE. If for example they are UK or Aussie then they get visa on arrival in AD and so only have to present their passport at the immigration desk & a visit visa will be stamped straight in without any hassle or charges.

north west
Level Contributor
5 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 15 hour stopover!

Thanks so much. Decided to go ahead and book the airport hotel. I will post their feedback when they return!

thanks for the advice

3. Re: 15 hour stopover!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, September 17, 2014