We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to enjoy Abu Dhabi for a shopping-hater? :D

Athens, Georgia
Level Contributor
25 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
How to enjoy Abu Dhabi for a shopping-hater? :D

It might sound weird but I've been to Dubai a few years ago for like 3 days and although the city was nicely built and all, I spent almost the whole stay going from mall to mall to mall to another mall. I'm not a shopping fanatic as you might have guessed from the title, so you can imagine how boring that little stay was.

I have never been to Abu Dhabi before, but I have to go for some family business and might stay for like a week. I always have this image of Abu Dhabi that it's kind of a Dubai replica: life inside a big mall.

My question is, do you have any suggestions for FUN activities or places to see rather than spend my entire time in malls?

Thanks

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Fuerteventura, Istria
Level Contributor
11,761 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to enjoy Abu Dhabi for a shopping-hater? :D

Have a look at my trip report & photographs:-

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g294013-i3754-k5…

I dislike shopping as well!

Abu Dhabi, United...
Level Contributor
664 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How to enjoy Abu Dhabi for a shopping-hater? :D

Some ideas of things to do: Ferrari World, Yas Waterworld, Yas Marina Ciruit, Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque, beaches, Emirates Palace Hotel, corniche walk/cycle, kayaking tour of the mangroves, Heritage Village, exhibitions and development review on Saadiyat. You can get a high view of the city from several different places (Jumeirah Etihad Towers, Le Royal Meridient or Marina Mall Tower). But the latter you would have to venture into the mall even if you don't like shopping :) Also the malls are good for: cinema, bowling, snooker, cheap food (food courts) and kids' activities like ice skating. And if you are here in hot weather the malls are always a good place to cool down before you go outside again.

Athens, Georgia
Level Contributor
25 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How to enjoy Abu Dhabi for a shopping-hater? :D

Thanks Welsh and Alex for your valuable input. Your suggestions shed some hope onto my upcoming trip :)

Perhaps I could see some of those places.

Thanks again.

4. Re: How to enjoy Abu Dhabi for a shopping-hater? :D

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, August 31, 2014