We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Abu Dhabi for One Day from Cruise Ship

Castle Eden
Level Contributor
62 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Abu Dhabi for One Day from Cruise Ship

We will be in Abu Dhabi on Sat 6th April. Would like to visit the Grand Mosque and the Emirates Palace Hotel. Can anyone let me know distances from the cruise port, and the best way to travel to these sights, and approx. costs. Has anyone done the tour with a cruise excursion, I think I would rather go ourselves, but would like advice. Also is it possible to visit the hotel and just go for coffee or would you recommend booking lunch or afternoon tea. Any suggestions for our one day visit greatly appreciated, thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Abu Dhabi
Abu Dhabi
Emirate of Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Emirates Palace
Emirates Palace
3,826 Reviews
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Staffordshire...
Destination Expert
for Staffordshire
Level Contributor
17,595 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Abu Dhabi for One Day from Cruise Ship

You may find more information from past cruises for this region on cruise critic as several of us regulars did it a couple of years ago.

Castle Eden
Level Contributor
62 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Abu Dhabi for One Day from Cruise Ship

Hi linda n, just wondering how your cruise went, any good tips you can pass on ?

London, United...
Level Contributor
339 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Abu Dhabi for One Day from Cruise Ship

Hi got lots to tell you. In no order.

wild waldi was goood, great surfing machines. Lockers etc all ok, can load money onto a wristband, what you dont use they give back in cash. The main enterance is in a great place for photos of Burj Arab too ! Daughter did fish pedicure too. Photos are expensive so take your own water camera.

Star bucks on boat was $4..... get off at Fujairah and go to Starbucks in shopping centre for free good signal Wi Fi. Carrefour was good and cheap for all kinds of things.... got lots of arabic school blank text books for my daughers friends as they were about £2 each and a fun pressie.

We like dubai mall more than emirates. We had anamazing picture done on last night.... it was like a mosaic.. like one of the travel agents in UK . we used 150 of our holiday photos tpo make up one large picture of use at Emirates palace. It was amazing, and a great keep sake!.

It is "white night" party night on the over night stay at Oman. The party is on the deck by the pool... its fun with buffett and music. You can by white arabic stuff in oman during the day. You can walk to the souk,, go out of the port and turn left and keep along the coastline. Me and my 10 yr old daughter did this and felt safe and fine at all times. do Haggle thoufgh... as prices vary ALOT! This is where the Big bus goes from. We did the Big bus in Dubai however felt it was expensive and very difficult and time consuming to hop on and off. Taxis are so cheap quick and direct.

Use entertainer vouchers were you can we saved alot of money got BOGOF for helicopter trip and water park plus food etc.

Henna lady is in Terminal 1 C18 in airport. Emirates fly from T3.. its a big airport. Emirates hold your lugguage for small fee and you can take metro to Dubai Mall for small amount. (11AED)

Do take arbra ride across creek its cheap and good way to get to souks gold and spice.

On ship the centre shows use the height of the boat for many trapeze type shows ( they are short though) we like to watch froml;evel 6 to 8... sort of mid way.

Shows on boat 70s night, grease, rock and roll. We liked the belly flop comp too which was really fun.

Find the ice cream machine in wind jammer... Yum!

Beware we got kicked off boat at 9am.... flight wasnt till 3.45 so we nipped back into Dubai mall after checking in.

LOVED the city tour and safari dessert we did with english company fun tours. Very good and excellent value.

Mosque in Abu Dhabi was amazing, we wore their black dress and head dress and it made for wonderful pictuires. Its free and they are clean. Go down to ladies toilets and see the green marble place where they wash... its beutiful.

We loved emirates palace. coffee was great....! Daughter kept a bit of the gold. LOL... See the ATM where you can buy gold ! There was a Yaz perfume shop were we got a beautiful perfume bottle for £10! the guy did the BEST wrapping in box with bows and flowers... truely pretty and all included in the price! We took lots of pictures by the water fountains at the front too.

We did the Falcon hospital trip with RC as my daughter wants to be a vet. It was fun and interesting.

Good for photos but poor and very expensive postcards and no shop ;-(

Though the guide gave her a falcon feather.

The safari trip was fab we loved the sand bashing. We took a small bottle to fill with their orange sand.

There was FREE henna tubs in the port in Abu Dhabi... so my daughter decorated herself again. We had a free small design done on the safari but after salt water pools it had faded.

The ports sold quite fair priced post cards and bits in all places but Oman. There you got off boat onto a bus and then dropped sort of in the street! Its safe but a bit off putting at first.

Daughter loved kids club.... VERY MUCH!

Anything else you want to know please ask.

PS we booked at the top 30 days out... glad we did we got sun set. Saw first fountain show at 6pm up there, then saw others later in evening from the ground. Photos MEGA expensice up there, but the press penny machine was fun ! and cheap

Candylicios sweet store opp aqaurium in Dubai mall has a great game to win sweets, you go in a booth and they blow paper vouchers in the air. the more you catch the more prizes. 10 AED ( £1.70?) it was good fun... to do and watch!

Sorry this is all misspelt etc my lap top is taking a turn for the worse and my delete button is playing up, taken ages to type this :-( anything else please ask.

Wishj I was going back... you will have a blast!

PS Belly dancing classes on boat were fun too!

Mentioned in this post
Fujairah
Fujairah
Emirate of Fujairah, United Arab Emirates
Emirates Palace
Emirates Palace
3,826 Reviews
Oman
Oman
Middle East
Dubai
Dubai
Emirate of Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Abu Dhabi
Abu Dhabi
Abu Dhabi Falcon Hospital
Abu Dhabi Falcon Hospital
1,051 Reviews
Manchester
Level Contributor
32 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Abu Dhabi for One Day from Cruise Ship

Hi my friend & I are on this cruise same week as you!

Manchester
Level Contributor
32 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Abu Dhabi for One Day from Cruise Ship

Hi my friend & I are on this cruise same week as you!

Manchester
Level Contributor
32 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Abu Dhabi for One Day from Cruise Ship

Hi linda we are on this cruise in 3 weeks time useful info thanks! U did a lot did u also have time to relax on ship? What were drinks prices on ship I hear rc is v expensive?

Castle Eden
Level Contributor
62 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Abu Dhabi for One Day from Cruise Ship

Thanks Linda, sounds great, I'm more excited than ever now.Have just booked on line for the Burj at the top, for 5.30 on our last day, sounds like a must see. We are in Dubai staying at the Arabian Courtyard before and after the cruise.Thanks for the tips, we are not planning to do much in Fujariah, but will get off and have a look around the shopping centre, then enjoy the ship and the sun for the rest of the day. Will do Mosque and Emirates Palace in Abu Dhabi ourselves by taxi. In Oman thinking about doing the RC trip one day, did you hear much about these trips? 'white night' party sounds fab.

GladsManchester - there are lots of posts on cruise critic about the drinks prices on RC, they seem quite expensive, so we have bought the premium drinks package.I think it will be worth it for us, just to know we can try all the cocktails etc and not have to worry about how the bill is racking up. Take a look at cruise critic, may help you decide if it's worth it for you.

Mentioned in this post
Dubai
Dubai
Emirate of Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Emirates Palace
Emirates Palace
3,826 Reviews
Abu Dhabi
Abu Dhabi
Oman
Oman
Middle East
London UK
Level Contributor
70 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Abu Dhabi for One Day from Cruise Ship

We spent a great day in AUH from a Celebrity cruise a couple of years ago. The ship was met by The Big Bus Tour (visitabudhabi.ae/en/…big.bus.tour.aspx) and covered all the important sites including the amazing Great Mosque, The Corniche and The Emirates Palace. It's a hop on/hop off service, (appx 1/2 hourly) so you can cover all you want to see. Be aware that The Emirates Palace has a dress code. We got caught out...the ladies were allowed in, but us guys were refused entry as we were wearing shorts.

Have a great day! ( We are off to AUH again next week for a bit of sun after all this miserable weather in the UK.)

Mentioned in this post
Abu Dhabi Intl Airport
Abu Dhabi Intl Airport
The Corniche
The Corniche
3,870 Reviews
Emirates Palace
Emirates Palace
3,826 Reviews
Staffordshire...
Destination Expert
for Staffordshire
Level Contributor
17,595 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Abu Dhabi for One Day from Cruise Ship

The cost of alcohol on RCCL is very expensive. Even partaking of a drinks package means you have to drink heavily to break even.

20. Re: Abu Dhabi for One Day from Cruise Ship

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 am, March 14, 2014