We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ipad mini at airport duty free

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
299 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
ipad mini at airport duty free

Hi we are travelling throught the airport in a few weeks time on route to thailand, wondering if anyone can tell let me know about the cost of a ipad mini at the duty free in abh dhabi, compared to the uk, many thanks

Abu Dhabi, United...
Destination Expert
for Abu Dhabi
Level Contributor
1,153 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ipad mini at airport duty free

Below are the standard showroom rates for iPad mini:

16 gb - wifi only = AED 1299

16 gb wifi+cellular = AED 1799

32 gb - wifi only = AED 1699

32 gb wifi+cellular = AED 2199

Edited: 2:45 pm, January 25, 2013
London, United...
Level Contributor
92 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ipad mini at airport duty free

Hi, thanks for this - what does 'standard show room' rates mean?? Is this the price in Duty Free or the price in an IT/ electrical store in Abu Dhabi itself?? Either way, based on today's exchange rates, these prices are cheaper than the UK!

Abu Dhabi, United...
Destination Expert
for Abu Dhabi
Level Contributor
1,153 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ipad mini at airport duty free

These prices are decided by the distributor of the product In this case it is iStyle, which is maintained by all leading Electronic shops, such as Sharaf DG, Jumbo Electronics, etc.

Sharaf DG has a shop in Abu Dhabi International Airport, and their rate is what I have quoted above.

www.sharafdg.com/pages/Apple/pgid-22635.aspx…

Other smaller electronics shops inside the city may get you lesser than this.

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
101 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: ipad mini at airport duty free

"duty free" for electronics is really a misnomer as there is no "duty" on these goods, only sales tax and as sales tax doesn't really exist in the Gulf or is low, the price sold in an airport would be more or less the same as downtown. If you are going to Bangkok go and look at MBK or Pantip Plaza for iPads or other tablets. From what I hear the UK is now one of the cheapest places in the world to by computers, you might be better off at home!

Hyderabad, India
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: ipad mini at airport duty free

Hi

I need to purchage tablet and web cam in Abhu dabhi duty free,what is price for both items.I have only 1.5hrs time there,is this time sufficent to buy the both item.Can u tell me exact place for buy the items.

Please reply.

Thanks in advance.

lancashire
Level Contributor
21 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ipad mini at airport duty free

Beware if you are contemplating buying an ipad mini from sharafdg at Abu Dhabi airport.

We bought one from them in November for our grandson back in the UK. Imagine his disappointment at Christmas when he was given the ipad mini as a present only to find out that FaceTime is not available on the model this store sells to unwitting customers. We asked if the ipad would work satisfactorily in the UK and yes was the answer. However,they didn't inform us that on the UAE version which they sell,FaceTime is not supported because it is not allowed. You cannot activate it in any way either even when you change your address. We have contacted sharaf dg several times to complain but they have not replied to us. Caveat Emptor!

Abu Dhabi, United...
Destination Expert
for Abu Dhabi
Level Contributor
1,153 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: ipad mini at airport duty free

It is obvious that Gulf countries have some restrictions for certain features and products.

Many UAE residents aware that FaceTime won't work here.

It is the duty of the salesman who sell the product to inform you. Due to this tourists and transit passengers are affected.

In my case every time I used to buy an Apple product, the salesman or the shopkeeper use to alert me about FaceTime. since I know this from the beginning I don't bother about it. I use some other alternative features.

lancashire
Level Contributor
21 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: ipad mini at airport duty free

Thank you very much for your reply,I appreciate that.

Middlesbrough...
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: ipad mini at airport duty free

I'm in the same boat, I flew into Dubai on the 10th Jan'15 & I treated myself toa IPAD Mini only to find that it doesn't come with "Face Time"

My question is: I'm due to fly back out of Dubai on the 17th Jan, I have the box & the recepit will they refund me?

Many thanks in advance

Adam G

lancashire
Level Contributor
21 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: ipad mini at airport duty free

Hi there,

Good luck with your attempt for a refund and I hope your are successful.

We never had any joy with emails even to the Apple Chairman who didn't reply to us!

The store should be made aware of the sale of goods act and I'm sure that you will tell them that they should inform UK customers that they will not be able to receive Facebook on Apple products bought in UAE!

Good luck again.