We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

looking for a good and reliable emirate driver for May, 2009

Which Abu Dhabi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
toronto
Level Contributor
3 posts
63 reviews
Save Topic
looking for a good and reliable emirate driver for May, 2009

My DH and I will be in Abu Dhabi second week of May for 2 weeks to a month looking for accomodation. We are looking for a reliable and good emirate driver to take us around Abu Dhabi and Dubai.

We were there for a week at the end of March. The driver we hired was terrible. I don't think he can read at all. We spent over an hour at the Dubai Airport making circles finally I had to tell him where to go. He also would not find his way around Abu Dhabi. We got lost all the time and he had to ask other taxi drivers for directions while he was driving. All he did was complaining how little he got paid everyday. There got to be a better driver out there in Abu Dhabi. We paid the company AED$500 per day for a mid-size car with a driver for a week. I also tipped the driver AED$50 per day even though he did not deserve it. Many times, I wanted to get off his car and just get into a taxi. But I was told it was very difficult to get a taxi during the rush hours.

Thank you in advance.

Abu Dhabi, United...
Level Contributor
4,012 posts
210 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: looking for a good and reliable emirate driver for May, 2009

First of all, Emiratis do not work as drivers. Most drivers are from India or Pakistan, but could also be from Egypt, Syria, Bangladesh, Philippines, etc. If you have any problems with the driver that you have booked through a company you should complain immediately to the company.

Taxi drivers survive on very low incomes in the UAE and recently in Abu Dhabi the cost to the customer has gone up, but even less goes to the driver. If taxi drivers meet their targets they make 4,000 AED per month. Tipping is normal – round up to the nearest 5 AED.

In Abu Dhabi hiring a car with driver costs from 900 AED per day from a reliable firm, but this is really most suitable only for a day or two - not for weeks.

Abu Dhabi is a fairly compact city and you can get around by taxi and bus (much easier than Dubai). However, you will find many taxi drivers have not been in the city long and don’t know their way round. Added to that, directions are given by landmarks and not usually by street address. Some streets are known by as many as three different names. If you choose to use taxis, take the mobile/cell phone number of the drivers you prefer and then call them directly.

I suggest you hire a car. If you are on a visit visa, just bring your Canadian driving license with you. Some hire companies also insist on an international driving license. If you have a residence visa you will need to get a UAE driving license before you can hire a car. Hiring a mid-size car costs from about 2,000 AED for one month; a bit more if you hire by the week.

toronto
Level Contributor
3 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: looking for a good and reliable emirate driver for May, 2009

Thank you.

3. Re: looking for a good and reliable emirate driver for May, 2009

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:27 am, October 11, 2009