We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

fam holiday in AD

leeds
Level Contributor
675 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
fam holiday in AD

Hi

we usually go to dubai every year but the prices there are getting ridiculous so we are looking to go to Ad instead. We have a few questions:-

1. what kind of price would we be paying for a fortnight? 2 adults 2 kids

2. can u recommend a good agent?

3. we want to go at the end of sept - will the weather be ok then?

4. will the hotels do HB (like in dubai)?

5. any other good hotels with kids club and kids pools?

6. we have budgeted for £3k for a fortnight so I hope this will cover flights and hotel?

8. is eating out cheap or the same as dubai?

thanks in advance to anyone who can help!!!

Tyne and Wear
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
9,654 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: fam holiday in AD

1. flights about the same hotels are slightly less if you stay away from Emirates Palace (quite pricey)

2. all the normal Dubai agents will also do Abu Dhabi.

3. same as Dubai, mid to high 30s, low 40s.

4. not as commen in AD but some hotels are starting.

5. Shangri La, Intercon, Royal Meridien, Hilton etc all the usual chains are there.

6. should do, but I think if you hang on you may get Dubai for around that price come Jan09.

8. yes same high end restaurants to local shawarrma shops.

leeds
Level Contributor
675 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: fam holiday in AD

hi hannah! you get around!!

i hope you are right and we get a holiday in dubai next year for that price. the quotes i have had so far have been in the £4.5k - £6k region for virtually the same holiday we had this year.

might stop looking for a few months. let me know if you ever see anything as dubai would be my first choice

ta

Tyne and Wear
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
9,654 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: fam holiday in AD

I lived in the UAE most of my life so I know the area pretty well.

I'm sure you'll get something sorted nearer the time. Wait til Jan09, thats when I always book myself and normally get decent deals.

Oxford
Level Contributor
25 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: fam holiday in AD

Found this deal with travelpack, im rather tempeted to pay the extra £30 and stay at the hilton ras al khamiah. flying on virgin atlantic, long gone are the days of finding the hilton, meridian etc in abu dhabi at 'cheap rates!'

hope it helps

matty

Abu Dhabi, United...
Level Contributor
396 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: fam holiday in AD

Eating out is cheaper than Dubai. Weather now, mid-September is high 30s, low 40s and relatively high humidity so end of September/October will be a bit cooler and a bit less humid.

abu dhabi, united...
Level Contributor
185 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: fam holiday in AD

I don't think the weather will be fine at end of september. It really isn't bearable until end of November, when the humidity is much less. Until then it can be very humid and very hot. In Abu Dhabi the Intercontinental and Hilton have wonderful pools and kids clubs are on the beach with many water sports and are near Marina Mall. Eating out is good at the malls and hotels. Abu Dhabi is much less crowded but with less activities than Dubai. Dubai has snow skiing and wild wadi and many malls. I would suggest staying somewhere like Courtyard by Marriott in Dubai for a decent rate (has a small pool) and pay for access to beach and pool at one of the more expensive hotels. I just heard yesterday they are starting Wild Wadi family mornings on Saturdays from 8am-11 starting in October. Or you could stay at the Harbour hotel by Emirates airline in which you would get a good rate on a 2 bedroom apartment with full kitchen and washer/dryer with free access to Royal Meridien's beach and a shuttle to the malls. You also get all the restaurants and supermarket at the Marina. If you only want to swim and go to the beach with hardly any traffic, I would suggest Abu Dhabi, but if you want more activities but with the stress of alot of traffic and alot of people, there is Dubai.

London, England
Level Contributor
397 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: fam holiday in AD

Saara, another Dubai fan who is finding it cheaper in Abu Dhabi.

We have stayed at Jumeirah Beach and Grand Hyatt, in Dubai, both great hotels, but as you say prices are getting silly.

We have stayed at the Beach Rotana, in Abu Dhabi, which has a kids club and pool, good gym / squash club, excellent restaurants and is attached to the Abu Dhabi Mall.

We book through Dharam Patel at Best At Travel.

Rick

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
Level Contributor
21,356 posts
1,840 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: fam holiday in AD

I stayed at the Al Raha beach hotel a few months ago. We had a stopover and decided to give Abu Dhabi a try.

Got a nice big room for us and our 2 kids, wonderful buffet breakfast.

They have a kids pool and kids club. a small shopping mall attached to it with a cinema and courtesy shuttle to the malls.

Our family enjoyed Abu Dhabi and its developing a lot. However if your really wish to be in Dubai then you will not be entirely happy with Abu Dhabi.

Droitwich, United...
Level Contributor
438 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: fam holiday in AD

As ever with TA the advice is spot on. Stayed in both Dubai and Abu Dhabi with wife and daughter and really like AUH as it's slightly less franetic than DXB. Down side is there is a lot more 'to do' in DXB but if you want sun, sea, food and good prices on shopping items (we found AUH slightly cheaper and better to hagle) then a holiday to AUH is fine. Stayed at the Hilton and good value with all ammenities required.

10. Re: fam holiday in AD

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:19 pm, October 07, 2009