We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ramadan 2008

vienna
Destination Expert
for Lower Austria
Level Contributor
13,600 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Ramadan 2008

I assume the dates for Ramadan in 2008 will be approximately about September 1 to end of September , of course based upon the sighting of the moon.

Can someone confirm this ?

Need to make a visit in early October using frequent flyer miles and must do an early booking. I wish to avoid Ramadan and the following Holidays if possible.

Thank You.

Abu dhabi
Level Contributor
206 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Ramadan 2008

that is true, but usually you have to consider +/- one day .

Have a nice trip

Abu Dhabi, United...
Level Contributor
4,012 posts
210 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ramadan 2008

Just curious as to why you want to avoid spending Ramadan in Abu Dhabi?

A few notes on Ramadan in Abu Dhabi:

Visitors usually find it's a really interesting time to be in Abu Dhabi Everywhere is extra quiet during the day and comes alive after dark.

Fasting (no eating, drinking, smoking in public) is mandatory by law during daylight hours in Ramadan, but if you are staying in a hotel there is no problem getting food and drink (most hotels have at least one restaurant kept discreetly open for use by non-Muslims for breakfast and lunch) Supermarkets are also still open and takeaways still deliver.

Also the bars in Abu Dhabi are open in the evenings (this has been the case for the last two Ramadans). No dancing or live music has so far been allowed during Ramadan, though.

During Ramadan it is usual for the shops to be shut in the afternoons and to reopen after Iftar (time of breaking the fast, which is at sunset). Then most shops/restaurants are open until at least midnight, if not later. The huge 'Iftar buffets' offered at most restaurants are amazing to see and very good value for money.

vienna
Destination Expert
for Lower Austria
Level Contributor
13,600 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ramadan 2008

Appreciate the confirmation of dates and added information.

I am already familiar with Ramadan customs having been in several countries during these periods and enjoyed the Iftar Buffet especially.

But I will travel with a business partner needing to eat regular and timely meals due to medical reasons. As we will often be away from a hotel, and do not wish to inconvenience local contacts it is much more convenient to be there at other times.

Shukran.

4. Re: Ramadan 2008

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:20 pm, September 24, 2009