We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

African American Visitors To Dubai and the rest of the UAE

new york
Level Contributor
98 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
African American Visitors To Dubai and the rest of the UAE

I feel a sense of embarrassment to ask this question, but unfortunately we live in a world, where for some people, the color of one's skin trumps the content of their character.

Can anyone advise either from first hand experience or from shared stories as to the experiences of other Africans or African Americans traveling to Dubai and other parts of the UAE?

Any information you impart will be greatly appreciated.

Staffordshire...
Destination Expert
for Staffordshire
Level Contributor
15,307 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: African American Visitors To Dubai and the rest of the UAE

I've never noticed anything untoward on any of my visits regardless of race or creed. I'm a souk lover so do venture away from the malls and beaches but everyone has been treated the same.

new york
Level Contributor
98 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: African American Visitors To Dubai and the rest of the UAE

Thanks for your reply. I do really want to visit the souks. The trip is really intended to provide my son with another experience. Thanks again for your efforts.

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
10,722 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: African American Visitors To Dubai and the rest of the UAE

I can't speak from personal experience but you might like to know there are many Africans living and working in Dubai. I have friends from Kenya and Eritrea and there are also quite a lot of Ethiopians here - as a visit to the Dubai marathon will show, they turn out in force and really add colour and atmosphere to the finishing line!

I hope you and your family enjoy your visit.

Dubai, United Arab...
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
6,815 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: African American Visitors To Dubai and the rest of the UAE

If you are holder of an American passport, you get a 30 day free visa on arrival into UAE, like any other Americans (or some 30-odd European/UK nationals). Dubai is home to more than 150 different nationalities. As far as Immigration situations as well as other public domains, malls, souks or anywhere else, you will not find any distinction shown. As posted, there are many non-white Americans in UAE and in the region. Specially in US Military related jobs. Please feel free to visit UAE and give this country some tourist business!

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
10,722 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: African American Visitors To Dubai and the rest of the UAE

''. As far as Immigration situations as well as other public domains, malls, souks or anywhere else, you will not find any distinction shown.''

Vasu, sounds like you've not passed through customs at the same time as passengers from an Addis Ababa flight......

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
40 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: African American Visitors To Dubai and the rest of the UAE

everyone gets treated the same in the UAE. there is also a large African community in the Karama/Bur Dubai area

plus you will notice 50% of Emirati's you come across are from African descent. (Kenya, Tanzania, Eritrea, Somalia)

new york
Level Contributor
98 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: African American Visitors To Dubai and the rest of the UAE

I do really appreciate all of your perspectives and your time to respond to my inquiry. As I previously mentioned, i was quite mindful in raising this topic, but it is important for me to understand how to navigate in a particular culture as it relates to race.

I had a similar concern in 2008 when I was doing an Asian tour. I spent almost 3 weeks in Asia and had a great experience. I anticipate just as good or even better experience.

Atlanta, Georgia
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: African American Visitors To Dubai and the rest of the UAE

When are you traveling to Dubai?

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
10,722 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: African American Visitors To Dubai and the rest of the UAE

lalive47, this thread was started a year ago so I suspect the OP has already been to Dubai.

new york
Level Contributor
98 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: African American Visitors To Dubai and the rest of the UAE

Yes, I did travel to Dubai almost 1 year ago. I had an excellent experience. I did not have an adverse experience while in Oman, Dubai or other parts of the UAE. My only negative experience was some very rude and what I deem intolerant Flemish folks who were on Royal Caribbean.