We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Open and safe hotels in Damascus

Manchester...
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Topic
Open and safe hotels in Damascus

I work for a large business travel company and I am looking for information on the current state of accommodation in Damascus. We have a number of large aid organisations who we book travel for and they need to stay in Damascus. I am trying to establish which hotels in Damascus are open and safe for aid workers.

Does anyone have any idea where i can get that information?

Many thanks.

Jo

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
54 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Open and safe hotels in Damascus

I do not have a comprehensive list but the Four Seasons is open as of yesterday (22 July) and the Beit al Mamlouka at Bab Touma in the Old City is also open. I think you are just going to have to call around as its probably a day to day situation with some. Both of the above are (relatively) safe. As safe as anything can be in Damascus these days.

Edited: 2:24 pm, July 23, 2013
Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
774 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Open and safe hotels in Damascus

The Dama Rose (Previously the Meridien) is also open for business

Hotline:+963 11 9324

Reservation:+963 11 222 9200 - 3322650

http://www.damarose.com

info@damarose.com

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Syria, Aleppo, Jordan
Level Contributor
10,177 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Open and safe hotels in Damascus

Safe hotels can be found in the old walled city of Damascus

there are dozens of boutique hotels all are safe.

cheers

raymond

Amman Pasha Hotel

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
33 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Open and safe hotels in Damascus

I have stayed at the Beit al Mamlouka - amazing place. Glad to hear it is still open. There is also a sister hotel, hopefully open. You can't go wrong staying there.

Victoria, British...
Level Contributor
74 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Open and safe hotels in Damascus

I have also stayed at Beit al Mamlouka. Yes wonderful! Very secure there. They look at you on a tv camera before letting you enter when you ring their bell. The walled old city was spectacular when I went there in 2009. I hope things get better soon for poor Syria. I loved visiting there. People were very kind.

Melbourne, Australia
7 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Open and safe hotels in Damascus

How safe is Damascus city? I'm not talking about the rest of the country.. just Damascus. Things seemed pretty scary last year, but are a bit better now?.. how about kidnapping risk? (I'm shia) Bombs? (not much on news) Thanks

Edited: 1:27 pm, September 29, 2013
7. Re: Open and safe hotels in Damascus

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 9:35 am, November 04, 2013
Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Syria, Aleppo, Jordan
Level Contributor
10,177 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Open and safe hotels in Damascus

The old walled city of Damscus is safe.Bab Toma,Bab Sharki and Qumaria and the rest of the walled city life is normal..

there are few hotels opened for business in this area.

cheers

Raymond

Damascus Hostel

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
2 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Open and safe hotels in Damascus

Bab Touma, Bab al Sharqi and other nearby neighborhoods have been subject to mortar and rocket attacks recently. The trend has not been decreasing. Four Seasons and the smaller hotels in its vicinity (north of FS) are so-so okay - there have been some incidents in the area but not as frequent as further east. Fardous tower was ok in March, but its not a particularly luxurious place. The status of their electricity supply is unclear i.e. do they have a proper back-up system at the moment. This is potentially a big issue in many places.

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
2 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Open and safe hotels in Damascus

Update re Fardous. Hotel working just fine. Rooms a tad small, but 8th and 9th floor reasonable fresh rooms. Electricity working. Internet slow but working. Area in the immediate vicinity mostly unaffected by mortar attacks. But no guarantees can be given of course. Situation as of December 2013.