We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Damascus short report

Bradford, West...
Level Contributor
44 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Damascus short report

I was in Damascus for 10 days this month. I was staying in Zainabiya in the south of the city. I didnt encounter any problems and visited the old city about 3 times. There are no foreigners at all in central Damascus at all and the old city is very quiet with many regular shops/cafes that serve tourists now closed. If you walk with a camera then expect to get attention from the police who will ask you questions until they are satisfied that you are not a spy. Rumours abound about problems due to the situation and the country and safety but like I said I didn't encounter any problems while I was there. If there are any specific questions please post them here and I will try and answer them

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
54 posts
1 review
Save Reply
11. Re: Damascus short report

The only thing sad is the situation in Syria. Can you perhaps refrain from attacking posters on this forum and stick to the topic ?

Aqaba, Jordan
Level Contributor
2,696 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Damascus short report

the sad thing about the situation...............

try and get it right boyo...

A99

Gent
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Damascus short report

As a former visitor to Syria who has experienced the kindness of these gracious people and the wonderful sites of this historical nation, I can only hope that the situation improves soon. I think about the hardship now faced by those wonderful tour guides and drivers I met, who will now suffer because of the lack of work. That being said, I think that it would be wise to wait for a more stable time to visit, as these situations are unpredictable and could readily spread to Damascus or escalate due to the recent UN General Assembly vote. Another consideration is that it will be difficult to pay guides and hotels by bank transfer or credit card given the sanctions and it may also be difficult to get a visa. I myself plan to return to Syria once things are back on track to visit the sites I missed on my last visit - Ain Dara, Mara, Ugarit and Latakia!

UK
Destination Expert
for Varkala
Level Contributor
9,002 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Damascus short report

just catching up with the Syria forums. Glad things are reported as ok in Damascus. What about Homs?

Aqaba, Jordan
Level Contributor
2,696 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Damascus short report

Igirl,

I know this is not travel related,,, but I doubt anyone in Homs will be on TA for an update...

your best bet is to follow the BBC or ITV ( forget SKY)

ciao

A99

Windsor, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Damascus short report

we have had to again cancel our trip to visit family this year :( although where they are there is no trouble at all (sweida) as my husband is syrian should he return he will not be allowed to leave without permission from the military and as they have already been looking for him i doubt they will give it really hope things get sorted soon ;(

Moscow
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Reply
17. Re: Damascus short report

Hi there!

Any updates on the general situation in Damascus these days.

And is the road to/from airport safe?

18. Re: Damascus short report

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:19 pm, December 15, 2013