We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

guide in syria

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
guide in syria

Can anyone suggest a guide/driver for exploring Syria in April? Or is renting a car and driving ourselves a good idea?

Mentioned in this post
Syria
Syria
Middle East
Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Syria, Aleppo, Jordan
Level Contributor
10,138 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: guide in syria

Try Ahamd magribi/ Aleppoguide.wordpress.com

He is an accredited fully qualified tour guide and driver

You can hire a car and drive your self it is not too hard except driving in the city can be stressfull.

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,138 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: guide in syria

LaTraveller

Abdul the driver was scaked from Damascus Hostel for breaching code of ethics for drivers.That is to be upfront,honest and direct with clients.

The Hostel does not recommend or employ Abdul or his drivers.

Mentioned in this post
Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,138 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: guide in syria

LaTraveller

It is a fact that abdul was sacked from working at the hostel cos he breached the guide lines That is to be direct upfront and honest with clients

It is a well known fact also to Tripadvisor Management that abdul has had several screen names(dozens) and scores of fake/fabricated reviews on this forum. The readers on the forum has the right to know this information.

Tripadvisor is the readers,travelling community forum.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: guide in syria

I am currently travelling throughout Syria with Ahmad Margrib. He is an excellent guide, completely dependable. Importantly he uses competent drivers, essential in some of the big cities. Check him out on aleppoguide.com

Mentioned in this post
Syria
Syria
Middle East
london
Level Contributor
2 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: guide in syria

We went through http://www.mytrip-syria.com/ , a local agency set up by a lovely mix couple, Saqer who is Syrian married to Salina from Switzerland. They can arrange driver, hotel, guide and typical tourist tour as well as more unusual experiences: hiking trip (St Simeon...), night with the Bedouin ...

Saqer either do the tour himself or only hires driver he knows and trust.

Saqer was honest, reliable and great company. He also has this unique ability to sense the kind of things you like and make suggestions to match these. He just made our trip so special !!!

London, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: guide in syria

Just returned to the UK from a fantastic trip around Syria. Checking the details of the guide we used I made a few typing errors in my previous reply, I would recommend...

Ahmad MAGRIBI

Mentioned in this post
Syria
Syria
Middle East
East Midlands...
Level Contributor
56 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: guide in syria

I've just (yesterday) got back from 17 days in Syria. For 7 of those we travelled with Ahmad Magribi and his driver.

I would entirely agree with norrisgrey’s comments about Ahmad. He was very helpful when I was planning the trip, and patiently answered my endless questions beforehand. He made good suggestions for hotels and restaurants, and planned an intinerary that gave us a comprehensive experience of Syria, according to our own particular interests.

He was thorough, dependable and enhanced our experience of Syria immensely. Like norrisgrey, I felt very confident with the skills of his driver (in this case Mohammed). Both were excellent company, and we were very sad to depart at the end of our trip

We had a fantastic time in Syria and would have no hesitatation in recommending Ahmad

I will write a report of our trip later, but in the meantime I am happy to answer any PMs

Mentioned in this post
Syria
Syria
Middle East
Paisley, United...
Level Contributor
90 posts
217 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: guide in syria

In April my friend and I travelled around Syria. On one "Friday" we decided to take a taxi from Palmyra to Aleppo as opposed to the bus. We used a man called MAHMOOD MOOTLAK. His telephone is 00963 944/417442-031/5912687.

His e-mail is motlak123@hotmail.com.

Mahmood was very pleasant and skillfully and safely took us through Hama. In Aleppo he took us straight to our hotel which we could not find when we were out for a walk. I would highly recommend this chap.

Scott from Scotland

Mentioned in this post
Syria
Syria
Middle East
Aleppo
Aleppo
Aleppo Governorate, Syria
California
Level Contributor
96 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: guide in syria

We're just back from a trip to Syria, Lebanon and Jordan and had a wonderful time. We used Abdul Ibrahim, as a driver who has been much maligned above. I just don't get it, there's definitely some local politics going on here, but I'm going to stick to my own experience which is what I a can vouch for.

We used Abdul for a 5 day trip and had an amazing time with him. He's open, interesting, engaged and understands a Western perspective because he lived in the US for years. We had fun with Abdul and felt we learnt a lot about Syria. He helped me with the itinerary before we left and gave me advice on Jordan as well. After we left him in Aleppo when things were heating up politically he arranged another driver for us and called constantly to make sure we were ok.

We travel a lot, and Abdul is among the best drivers we've ever had. We had such a good time with him, I'm considering another trip to Syria!

Have a look at the photos of our trip on my blog, Syria really is a wonderful place to visit.

…blogspot.com/search/label/Syria

Obviously this is not a fake review, I've been a member of Tripadivsor since 2005 and have made plenty of contributions, hopefully my opinion counts for something. I don't want to get into a vitriolic debate, I just want to post my own experience about a driver we really liked.

Mentioned in this post
Syria
Syria
Middle East
Lebanon
Lebanon
Middle East
Jordan
Jordan
Middle East
Aleppo
Aleppo
United States
Level Contributor
9,473 posts
266 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: guide in syria

Thank you so much for the report and that your blog is great. You did exactly the trip I want to do but will wait until next year. The hotel in Aleppo is great...I have found some great places on i-escape too. (I think that is where you got it). Based on your report as well as other research I have done I have also noted your driver and will contact him for our trip. Seems like some "local politics" on the board have resulted in posts as above. If the only thing he has done is ask his happy clients to write a word about him on TA or elsewhere then I don't see any reason to badmouth him at all. His other reports are excellent just like yours and his website very helpful. Again...thanks for taking the time to report.

Mentioned in this post
Aleppo
Aleppo
;