We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car with driver for 5 days that doesn't cost a fortune

Switzerland
Level Contributor
43 posts
108 reviews
Save Topic
Car with driver for 5 days that doesn't cost a fortune

I know there have been several posts on this matter usually followed by TA 's removing them. The thing is, its really hard to get info. Either someone is promoting himself or a friend (and I don't know how good they are) and TA finds its promotion and removes it so the only stuff I read is very vague. Many car hire firms don't answer. I tried car companies but Victoria for example charges $140 for the rental +$35 for driver +$60 for his accomodation + fuel, whatever that comes to. Surely there must be something for less than what must be surely over $270 a day.

We are a family of thee and have had a very nice newish AC van in Morocco last october for $160 everything included, petrol, a great perfectly English speaking driver as well as his accomodation and food. If there was something similar in Syria I'd be interested.

We want to go from Damascus to Aleppo via a few places and tour around up there and then overnight in Palymeria and then go to Bosra where we could be left at the Jordanian border to continue the holiday in Jordan. I'm not interested in going around in public transportation or driving myself. Can anyone share their experiences or tips without breaking TA's rules. Cheers Willie

Mentioned in this post
Syria
Syria
Middle East
Aleppo
Aleppo
Aleppo Governorate, Syria
Jordan
Jordan
Middle East
Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Syria, Aleppo, Jordan
Level Contributor
10,001 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car with driver for 5 days that doesn't cost a fortune

In Syria you can hire a late model car/driver for same cost as in Morocco usd 160/day driver pays all expenses.

Mentioned in this post
Syria
Syria
Middle East
sydney
Level Contributor
3 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car with driver for 5 days that doesn't cost a fortune

Hi there, we were in Syria about a week ago and used someone called Jawad in Damascus. He took us from damascus to Palmyra where we stayed the night. Next day it was off to Aleppo with a stop at Krak de Chevaliers and then to Aleppo for 2 nights. He took us to Saint Simeon on our full day in aleppo and on the next day, visited a number of places including Serjilla, Hama and a mosaic museum (which he recommended which turned out to be very good ) on our way back to Damascus. I think it was 6000 SP a day all inclusive. He paid for his own accommodation and meals as well as petrol

Jawad speaks excellent English and lives up to his aim of providing professional service. He has his own website - Jawad - taxi driver in Syria.

Mentioned in this post
Syria
Syria
Middle East
Aleppo
Aleppo
Aleppo Governorate, Syria
Windsor, England
Level Contributor
77 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car with driver for 5 days that doesn't cost a fortune

Hi,

We used Jawad - www.jawaddriverinsyria.com. We were very pleased with the personalised service he offered and the competitive rates. We travelled all over and although he did not always take us himself, he provided us with other drivers who were always punctual and friendly. I would definitely recommend his services and would use him again should we be lucky enough to pay another visit.

4. Re: Car with driver for 5 days that doesn't cost a fortune

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 8:35 am, December 29, 2010
5. Re: Car with driver for 5 days that doesn't cost a fortune

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 6:05 pm, December 31, 2010
Winter Park, FL
Level Contributor
18 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car with driver for 5 days that doesn't cost a fortune

I appreciate your info on your driver in Syria. A friend and I are planning our own Syria extension to a group tour of Jordan in March. The friend has been planning to drive. After reading the tripadvisor comments on traveling with a driver, that seems a good idea to me. We have just 4 days and hope to see a lot, and I'm thinking that would be easiest with a driver. My friend is especially interested in the opportunity to be independent. Jawad has responded to the questions I've asked him about price and possibilities. I've copied your recommendation to my friend. This would be the first time I've hired a car and driver for travel. Is there anything else you can think of that I should know about your experience, or any additional advice you have?

Thanks so much! Ann in Florida, USA

Mentioned in this post
Syria
Syria
Middle East
Jordan
Jordan
Middle East
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
36 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car with driver for 5 days that doesn't cost a fortune

we in a group of (with 3 children) just came back from the middle east for a 33 days trip and covered the entire Syria for 10 days. we used the private driver/guide and i personally think this is the best way for you to see Syria as some of the interesting sites are off the main roads, plus you would be able to gain insights into the local culture, lifestyles, food etc. It is the VALUE that counts.

I will be more than happy to provide you the guide's name (he is TOP notch), i will not publish his name or email here as someone influential will delete this post, rendered this one like a spam or self-promote.

We took a total of 3000 photos during the 33 days trip (Syria,Lebanon, Jordan and Egypt) and we used the private guide service for about 12 days .. I am now uploading photos (but slow) and you are welcome to view

flickr.com/photos/…

Mentioned in this post
Syria
Syria
Middle East
Lebanon
Lebanon
Middle East
Jordan
Jordan
Middle East
Egypt
Egypt
Africa
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
36 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car with driver for 5 days that doesn't cost a fortune

Please send me a private message, if you like to get the contact of the private driver/guide that we had during our time in Syria, Jordan and Lebanon. Happy to help. Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Syria
Syria
Middle East
Jordan
Jordan
Middle East
Lebanon
Lebanon
Middle East
Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Syria, Aleppo, Jordan
Level Contributor
10,001 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car with driver for 5 days that doesn't cost a fortune

Hi pool628 in your post you wrote

" I will not publish his name or email here as someone influential will delete this post, rendered this one like a spam or self-promote. "

No one can remove posts except TripAdvisor Team.They remove posts that breached the guidelines.They do not remove legitimate posts that give advice and help to readers.

DEs, myself and others report spam/ suspect posts for TA Team and they investigate and decide on the matter.

In the past two years there was a particular driver (his name starts with A) in Syria who assumed several screen names and used the forum to self promote and advertise his business.The TA Team removed/deleted dozens of his posts together with his screen names from the forum. Isnt that fair play?

Remember TripAdvisor motto is "The Worlds Most Trusted travel forum"

Let us keep it that way

Mentioned in this post
Syria
Syria
Middle East
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
36 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Car with driver for 5 days that doesn't cost a fortune

Let see ... how about those in the authority, intentionally remove those posts, purportedly for self promotion, but in reality he or she wants to monopolize the business and prevent others to recommend someone worthy?

Thanks for the enlightening remarks though .. 100% agrees we need to prevent this site from being hijacked for own interest.