We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Damascus or Amman/Petra?

San Francisco...
6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Damascus or Amman/Petra?

My fiance and I are planning to take a weekend trip from Dubai and are trying decide between heading to Syria or Jordan for the weekend. Which would be more interesting and would have more stuff to do in August? (I know, not ideal for either)

Mentioned in this post
Dubai
Dubai
Emirate of Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Syria
Syria
Middle East
Umayyad Mosque
Sacred & Religious Sites
Souq al-Hamidiyyeh
Flea & Street Markets, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Old City
Neighborhoods
Omayad Mosque
Sacred & Religious Sites, Natural History Museums
Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Syria, Aleppo, Jordan
Level Contributor
9,994 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Damascus or Amman/Petra?

I think Damascus is more suited for a weekender from the Gulf.The city is unique in many ways,atmosphere,heritage ,history charm from the past and entertainment.

the boutique hotels,and the many Damascene restaurants makes very special weekend.

i leave it for others to elaborate,

Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
774 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Damascus or Amman/Petra?

Hi becbarker,

Petra is definitely just as interesting but considering the distances and travel from Amman to Petra and back, it could be quite a rush for a weekend depending on your arrival and departure times.

I therefore agree with Syriafullbottle, that Damascus would be better for a weekend getaway and there are more things to see and do in Damascus.

Whatever you decide, have a great time.

Mentioned in this post
Amman
Amman
Amman Governorate, Jordan
Damascus, Syria
Destination Expert
for Damascus
Level Contributor
949 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Damascus or Amman/Petra?

I dont think walking round Petra for hours in August is a good idea at all. There are many interesting historical places in Jordan but the heat will be awful in the Summer.

You could discover the historical sights of Damascus within the Old City, all within a short walk of each other and some interesting places just a short drive from Damascus in the cool mountains.

Mentioned in this post
Old City
Old City
79 Reviews
Damascus, Syria
Aqaba, Jordan
Level Contributor
2,697 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Damascus or Amman/Petra?

Hi,

I must agree with all three,,,, Amman is 40c today (heatwave) so, Petra will be awfull in this heat.

Enjoy Damascus,,,, I always do.

ciao

A99

Mentioned in this post
Amman
Amman
Amman Governorate, Jordan
5. Re: Damascus or Amman/Petra?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, January 28, 2011