We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with Syria Itenary 1st week June10

London
Level Contributor
16 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Help with Syria Itenary 1st week June10

I will be flying into Beirut in late May and then travelling by taxi/bus through to Damascus on 31May and stay till 4June. I would like to see the sights in Damascus ofcourse but was also wondering if its possible to do day trips to Bosra and Palmyra although I would assume one has to leave quite early in the morning. I didnt want the hassle of carrying my luggage around so much especially if only staying one night in Palmyra. Therefore trying to use Damascus as a base. Any helpw would be appreciated and also best way to get to these historic sites. I am travelling alone. Any suggestions would be welcome to get the most out of my 5 days in Syria as I have to get back to Beirut on 5June for my flight back to London the next day. I would also be happy to meet any travellers in Syria who happen to be there at the same time.

thanks

Mentioned in this post
Syria
Syria
Middle East
Umayyad Mosque
Sacred & Religious Sites
Souq al-Hamidiyyeh
Flea & Street Markets, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Old City
Neighborhoods
Omayad Mosque
Sacred & Religious Sites, Natural History Museums
Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Syria, Aleppo, Jordan
Level Contributor
9,994 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with Syria Itenary 1st week June10

hI

When in Damascus please call in person at damascushostel for free detailed information in English and Arabic on day trips to Bosra,Palmyra,Sednaya ,Maaloula and the Krak.

This info on public transport is available for all visitors to Syria for free.

Mentioned in this post
Syria
Syria
Middle East
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
20 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with Syria Itenary 1st week June10

Hi,

We went from Damascus to Palmyra by bus (below 200SYP per person but takes a while), a Taxi from Palmyra to Hama visiting Krak-des-Chevaliers on the way cost us 100USD.

A taxi from Hama to Aleppo via Apamea and Dead Cities cost us 45 EUR (50 with the tip).

I hope this will give you some idea about the prices you may expect to pay.

A taxi from our Hotel in Damascus (very central) to the bus stop to Palmyra was 100SYP.

We have arranged the taxis at the hotels we stayed in (you pay at the destination) and we had no problems in Syria whatsoever.

Mentioned in this post
Syria
Syria
Middle East
3. Re: Help with Syria Itenary 1st week June10

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:15 am, May 25, 2010
London
Level Contributor
16 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with Syria Itenary 1st week June10

Thanks so much for all your suggestions and replies. You have all been very helpful. I look forward to my trip.

5. Re: Help with Syria Itenary 1st week June10

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 9:05 am, May 26, 2010
Perth Australia
Level Contributor
146 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help with Syria Itenary 1st week June10

I was in Damascus last week and decided to take a public bus to Bosra. A great experience. Go to the Number 2 bus station where you can take a bus to Daar'a. It takes about 90 minutes on a good highway. At Daar'a there are lots of small mini-bues to Bosra about 35 minutes away.

Sounds complex but really quite easy. So cheap (about USD$4.00) and a real experience. Bosra and its Roman Theatre is amazing.

From Bosra you can usually catch a bus back direct to Damascus.

It can all be done easily in a day. Great fun.

7. Re: Help with Syria Itenary 1st week June10

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:33 am, December 05, 2010