We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walking in the mountains to the west of Damascus

Scotland
Level Contributor
2 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Walking in the mountains to the west of Damascus

Hello

I am planning a trip to Damascus and around for just a week in December. We would like to do some walking in the mountains to the west and wondered if this could be arranged when we got there? Nothing too dramatic, a couple of nights maybe, starting in the city and coming back to the city.

Has anyone done this? Does it need to be arranged before we go? Can anyone advise as all I can find on the Internet are set tours lasting days….

Thanks a lot

Kj

Damascus, Syria
Destination Expert
for Damascus
Level Contributor
935 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Walking in the mountains to the west of Damascus

Hi Kathryn

Have you had a look at maps of Syria and be more specific as to where you want to go?

We do not having walking in the mountains much here, like you do in Scotland.

You would have to travel some distance outside first and be able to do some walking there.

Hope this helps

A.

Scotland
Level Contributor
2 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Walking in the mountains to the west of Damascus

Many thanks - yes I will have a look at some maps... I just wondered as I have done this in other countries (just booked a hotel for the first 2 days then found a company to organise a tour....)

Thanks a lot

Kj

Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
774 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Walking in the mountains to the west of Damascus

Hi there is nothing organised in that area, but you can head towards Bloudan through the valleys and cross over the mountain to Bloudan without a problem and accommodation in Bloudan will not be a problem. From Bloudan you can then cross back over to Sednaya on the northwest of Damascus.

Get a good map and have a great time!

Damascus
Level Contributor
197 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Walking in the mountains to the west of Damascus

hi,

Sheraton Damascus is organizing a trekking tour through the mountains near Damascus, the tour will be from Rankous to Sydnaya, and it'll be on Friday 30 Oct 2009.

Detroit
Level Contributor
9 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Walking in the mountains to the west of Damascus

I agree with Sheikofarabi

best thing you can do is travel to the touristic little town of Bloudan in the AntiLiban mountains and from there you can walk on the mountains to many destination like zabadani/ Jourjanieh/ Madaya/Boukein..

there are plenty of small and clean hotels in Bloudan..and the town can be charming in the evening especially in the weekends with many pedestrians..there is a Grotto in Bloudan called Magaret Moussa..interesting.

remember it can be cold there in the winter.

Damascus, Syria
Destination Expert
for Damascus
Level Contributor
935 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Walking in the mountains to the west of Damascus

I went to the Grotto (actually artifical caves with tiny lake and pathways) last week.

Its called Mose's Cave.

You can eat inside or just look around.

100 sp entrance.

There are some nice places for walking around in that area.

7. Re: Walking in the mountains to the west of Damascus

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, April 20, 2010