We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

choosing among hotels in the Old City?

Rochester, Minnesota
Level Contributor
820 posts
124 reviews
Save Topic
choosing among hotels in the Old City?

We are trying to decide among the several very inviting boutique hotels in the Old City -- Old Vine, Beit Al Mamlouka, Beit Rumman, Talisman, etc.. We understand that the "Christian" & "Jewish" quarter designations are mostly historical, but is the upkeep the same in both quarters or is the Christian quarter a little further along in terms of renovations and general upkeeps? The Talisman seems a little further from the Mosque and other touristic sites, but are we looking at a a difference of less than 30 min. on foot? And lastly, it sounds like Beit Al Mamlouka has had a change of ownership. Does anyone know if this has had any impact on services? (Some of the more recent reviews seem to have been written by posters with only one post.)

Thank you!

Mentioned in this post
Beit Al Mamlouka
Beit Al Mamlouka
105 Reviews
Damascus, Syria
Umayyad Mosque
Sacred & Religious Sites
Souq al-Hamidiyyeh
Flea & Street Markets, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Old City
Neighborhoods
Omayad Mosque
Sacred & Religious Sites, Natural History Museums
Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
774 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: choosing among hotels in the Old City?

Hi,

Yes it is difficult to decide about the accommodation in Old Damascus, Beit Zaman is situated on Straight Street and best to come by transport wise, as you do not have to wind down various alleyways with your luggage. Tallisman is the only hotel with a most inviting swimming pool after a day's adventures in the Old City!

What ever you choose, have a great time in Damascus

Mentioned in this post
Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Syria, Aleppo, Jordan
Level Contributor
9,978 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: choosing among hotels in the Old City?

HI

Now there are two Talisman hotels the old one in Jewish quarters with the swimming pool and the new Talisman in Bab Alsalam WITHOUT a swimming pool.

As SheikofAraby mentioned it is hard to choose.They are very much the same.Beit Zaman and Oriental are on or close to ttheStraight street easy to find.

All Boutique hotels in walled city are within 20 min walking time to Mosque and soq Hamedia.It it can be fun being lost in narrow zigzag ezkak and zarobe(alleyways).

Jewish quarters are neglected run down houses roofs and walls caving this is due to lack of maintainance.

Renovations of old houses in the walled city is a huge project.There are already 200 restaurants and nearly 20 Boutique hotels has been fully renovated and more are on the way.Most of these houses are in the Christian quarters.

enjoy from damascushostel

Damascus
Level Contributor
102 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: choosing among hotels in the Old City?

Dear friend

Good day from Damascus

I think all of them are good

in my opinion & experience Talisman Hotel & Beir Ruman are among the best.

I Know Talisman Hotel well, it is very nice and it really gives you the feeling of Damascus life

best regards

Aiham Safieh

Mentioned in this post
Damascus, Syria
Destination Expert
for Damascus
Level Contributor
947 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: choosing among hotels in the Old City?

Hi pin61

I think (correct me if I'm wrong experts)

that Talisman and Beit Mamlouka are the most expensive.

Beit Ruman is near to Bab Touma and very easy to get to. Its smaller and very quaint.

As my collegue says all the Boutique Hotels are not far from the Omayad Mosque, Hamideya,et.

Everywhere in the Old City is a short walk.

A

Australia
Level Contributor
62 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: choosing among hotels in the Old City?

This year I have stayed at Talisman one (with pool) and Mamlouka near Bab touma. My impressions are as follows;

Talisman.Good service,large rooms, lovely decor. Really the Talisman is faultless. A short walk to Straight street and then five minutes to the souks and the mosque.

Mamlouka.Much smaller than Talisman,seven or eight rooms, some very small and difficult to find anywhere to put your luggage.The courtyard is small but and more intimate than Talisman. It is a similar distance from the Mosque etc as the Talisman but approaching from a different direction. If I where to return to this hotel I would ask for one of the two very nice suites.

Finally when I return to Damas next year Iwill stay at the Talisman.

Btw If breakfast is an important meal for you then the Talisman is the best bet.

Enjoy Syria.

Mentioned in this post
Syria
Syria
Middle East
Rochester, Minnesota
Level Contributor
820 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: choosing among hotels in the Old City?

We thank everyone for your very helpful and concrete explanations: They give us a very good and clear sense of what will work best for us. You are very kind to provide us with your comments. Thank you!

Aleppo, Syria
Level Contributor
28 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: choosing among hotels in the Old City?

hi

in my opinion & experience Talisman Hotel & Beir Ruman are among the best.

I Know Talisman Hotel well, it is very nice and it really gives you the feeling of Damascus life

have a nice trip to syria

hasan

Doha
Level Contributor
15 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: choosing among hotels in the Old City?

We came back from Syria last week and we stayed in the Oriental Hotel. It was very good and we would recommend it. Room 10 is very nice with a separate living room. I think Oriental Hotel is cheaper than the others mentioned but I am not 100% sure about this

Mentioned in this post
Syria
Syria
Middle East
United States
Level Contributor
9,386 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: choosing among hotels in the Old City?

Hello pln61...have been following your inquiries...I noted that you are having problems with Talisman...interesting I was looking at a trip to Syria last September...same issues...no answer...rejected emails and then tried to get info on the second hotel...no info ...still working on it for site etc...I then sent an email via a yahoo account and it was fine to the original Talisman but they could not give me any info on the second one which reports indicated was open?/ On the other hand had excellent communication with Beit Al Mamlouka and was shocked to see your mention of "change of ownership". May I ask your source? The reports on trip advisor still seem fine bearing in mind that people's expectations may not be tuned for hotels in old part of Damascus. From all the research I did at that time it sure seemed like the best (but expensive) option. Any further info would be welcome....good luck in your planning...sounds exciting!

Mentioned in this post
Syria
Syria
Middle East
Beit Al Mamlouka
Beit Al Mamlouka
105 Reviews
Damascus, Syria
London, England
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
10,520 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: choosing among hotels in the Old City?

I stayed at Beit Rumman this April and adored it. The hotel itself was charming, the rooms traditional and the bathrooms modern with excellent water pressure in the showers.

The breakfasts were so delicious and so abundant that they took me happily through the afternoon.

I made contact with the Damascus Hostel for day trips and was made to feel very welcome.

The staff spoke excellent English and were friendly and helpful.

I hope to return as soon as I can.

Mentioned in this post