We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Finding my way around Damascus

Liverpool
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Topic
Finding my way around Damascus

I am due to go to Syria late February with Jules Verne. There's one free day which I would like to spend walking round Damascus, shopping, having a few snacks, and just generally seeing the life of the city. I am a woman on my own, a little nervous, and may be staying at a hotel a little way from the centre (not sure where exactly the hotel will be it is either Hotel Carlton or Hotel Tichein). Is it possible to get around by foot? If I get lost are the taxis a good bet? Any good guides with maps of Damascus? I don't want to waste this opportunity so any suggestions welcome.

Damascus
Level Contributor
197 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Finding my way around Damascus

hi

Damascus has many parts to see each one has different kind of life and people, however most tourists go to the old city and ignore the other parts.. Carlton hotel is far from the city center around 10-15 minutes driving depending on the rush and around 25 minutes walking if you know the direction, and its area is not a walking area .. its near residential area, so if you already visited the old city and want to see another part, you may go to Cham city center which is near to Carlton around 10 minutes walking, so you can see people and shops inside this mall as well as to cafee and restaurants.

Tichein hotel is located in a sport complex in a residential area, same distant as carlton to the city center.

Littlehampton...
Level Contributor
620 posts
334 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Finding my way around Damascus

Hi

The Old City is easily explored on foot.

If you are doing the six-night or the eight-night tour Jules Verne usually spend the first day in Damascus, visiting the Ananais Chapel (via Bab Sharqi in Straight Street) in the Christian Quarter, the Damascus Museum and then the Umayyad Mosque and souks in the Muslim Quarter so by the end of the first day you'll have a good idea of orientation. Spending time on my own in Damascus was one of the highlights of my trip: I arranged for a taxi to drop me at the covered Spice Market at the Souk Midhat Pasha (Spice Market) end of Straight Street and collect me later at the Bab Sharqi end. Straight Street runs from the Spice Market for about a mile right down to Bab Sharqi. I actually got lost when I went wandering and ended up in the Shi'a Quarter but used the Umayyad Mosque to re-orient myself!

Regarding being on your own, I was in the same position but had a great day, bought enough souvenirs to set up my own souk and attracted no attention whatsoever other than when I was spending my money!

I hope you have a great time! As you can see from my other post I would happily have stayed!

Deb

Littlehampton...
Level Contributor
620 posts
334 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Finding my way around Damascus

I forgot to add, the photo I've used for my member ID is Bab Sharqi, as it was such a memorable part of my stay in Damascus!

Deb

Damascus, Syria
Destination Expert
for Damascus
Level Contributor
931 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Finding my way around Damascus

You'll have to like walking if you are staying at either of those Hotels.

If you decide to get a taxi, look and see if he has a meter below the dashboard. If not, dont take it.

You'll have to be specific and tell him where you want to go. Abou Roumani street is a good bet. There is everything in that area. Any good Travel Agent or Bookshop should have a map.

Check a few places you might like to see and ask again nearer the time.

Dont worry, you will find people very helpful.

5. Re: Finding my way around Damascus

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:19 am, October 01, 2009