We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lone female travel in Syria..how easy is this?

london
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Lone female travel in Syria..how easy is this?

How relaxed would a lone female middleaged tourist feel in Syria including Damascus, and does anyone know of any particularly friendly hotels in the old city, not too pricey. Would really appreciate comments.

Damascus, Syria
Destination Expert
for Damascus
Level Contributor
923 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lone female travel in Syria..how easy is this?

No problem at all, LondonSydney.

There are plenty of nice smaller hotels that you would feel at home in, and of course not pricey.

It depends what sort of area you would like to stay in, to recommend some to you.

You will find the people here very friendly and very helpful. Most hotels speak English, as well as many shops.

It is also easy to travel round on your own, and there are very good tourists offices who will arrange some trips for you, or you can go seperately on microbuses to many places of interest.

I can guarantee you will love it in Syria~

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Lone female travel in Syria..how easy is this?

Hi LondonSydney

When were you thinking of travelling?

I might be getting a small group of women together for a trip to Syria.

Let me know if interested :-)

Germany
Level Contributor
8 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lone female travel in Syria..how easy is this?

Pretty relaxed.

I visited several arab-muslim countries and Syria was definetely the easiest one, and it was the country with the friendliest and kindest people I ever met.

Other than in Morocco or Egypt I was never - NEVER - approached by men. You can walk around on your own and will most likely not be hassled at all. Petty crime seems to be none-existing. I saw shop owners in the souks going for a tea and leaving their shop open for half an hour.

london
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Lone female travel in Syria..how easy is this?

Thank you very much for that. very reassuring. it seems to be the consensus that its generally fine, and people are nice-nice, cant really say that about london lol! Many thanks for replying.

5. Re: Lone female travel in Syria..how easy is this?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 pm, October 12, 2009