We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling to Syria from Beirut

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Topic
Traveling to Syria from Beirut

Hello

I am (possibly stupidly!) considering traveling to Damascus this week from Beirut. I am a single female traveller with an australian passport. I cant seem to find up to date information regarding border crossings, what is open right now, whether or not i can obtain a visa at the airport (or in fact need one as an australian) and how much it may cost.

Coming all the way from australia it would seem a shame to come all this way and be so close to syria and not have the opportunity to see it. I know it is dangerous, but they also say beirut is dangerous right now and the travel advisories say not to come here, which is ridiculous as it is completely safe and everyone here is so friendly and heplful, so i dont put much in what i read on the net as far as the severity of a place.

I know people on here give an honest and unbiased opinion so any information woudl be greaty appreciateIf syria is a no go, i would like to go to jordan, petra etc, which i hear is safer and more accessible from lebanon right now.

Thanks in advance

Damascus, Syria
Destination Expert
for Damascus
Level Contributor
931 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling to Syria from Beirut

Sharkyward,

As I said recently on here you can get good advice from the Beirut Forum.

But before a certain person who posts on this Forum starts insulting you and calling you names I just want to tell you that Syrians are travelling to and from Lebanon frequently with no trouble.

BUT you will not find many foreigners doing so at the moment because even Damascus, in general, is not safe, because you dont know when an attack will happen.

So sadly I wouldnt advise it. Hopefully you will have another chance in the future. Enjoy your trip to Jordan. There is plenty to see there.

A.

Lebanon
Destination Expert
for Lebanon
Level Contributor
2,422 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling to Syria from Beirut

Despite the political unrest in Syria nothing has changed concerning the cost of a shared taxi between Beirut and Damascus which is 17 USD or 25,000 LBP., between Beirut and Aleppo via Damascus 35 USD and between Beirut and Amman 40 USD, 30 JOD,or 60,000 LBP.

Traveling between Beirut and Aleppo via Homs Province is actually disconnected due to the prevailing circumstances.

Cost for a Syrian visa for an an Australian passport is 100 USD.

You can have specific information for your special requests to travel to Syria and Jordan overland from Beirut at Charles Helou Bus and Taxi station on Trieste street facing Beirut port five minutes walk from Martyrs' square. The station opens 7 days a week 24 hours a day.

Syrians and Lebanese registered cars are travelling frequently between Syria and Lebanon with no trouble , some even continue to Jordan with no fear of crossing Deraa Province.

Good luck and best regards

3. Re: Traveling to Syria from Beirut

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 3:35 pm, April 11, 2013
Damascus, Syria
Destination Expert
for Damascus
Level Contributor
931 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traveling to Syria from Beirut

There he is!

5. Re: Traveling to Syria from Beirut

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 3:35 pm, April 11, 2013
Aqaba, Jordan
Level Contributor
2,696 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Traveling to Syria from Beirut

I have no vested interest,,, Mr. E-DIY,,, I have told you in the past,,, this is a travel forum,,,, go and find yourself a political forum to oust your views and anger.

basta

A99

7. Re: Traveling to Syria from Beirut

Removed on: 5:35 am, September 29, 2013
Toledo, Ohio
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Traveling to Syria from Beirut

Good, solid advice from a seasoned traveler. Thanks. auntie!

Edited: 12:36 am, April 28, 2013
9. Re: Traveling to Syria from Beirut

Removed on: 9:35 pm, May 23, 2013
6 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Traveling to Syria from Beirut

Hey sharkyward12,

I am also considering to travel to Syria this year to visit someone and it is important to me. I am also a single traveller so, if we consider the same time interval, would youblike to travel together? I don't want to be misunderstood but it just feels safer to travel with someone than travelling alone.