We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Needing advice on my trip to Doha in January 2014

Which Doha hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
5 posts
93 reviews
Save Topic
Needing advice on my trip to Doha in January 2014

Hello all,

I am traveling solo to Doha in January 2014. I have a few questions, mostly budget-related, that I'm hoping to get solved.

My budget is hopefully between 1000-1200 USD for a one week stay. I am a young American female, living in Istanbul. I am quite adventurous, and this is not my first time traveling alone, but will be my first time traveling in an Arab country.

Firstly, I am trying to decide whether to book through a travel agency. I already have my tickets, but nothing for hotels and tours so far. If anyone has any advice on Qatari travel agencies or tour companies, please send it my way. Though I am traveling alone, if I use a tour agency, I do NOT want to book a private tour.

Secondly, I want to do the overnight desert dune tour, the camel racing tour, and the north of Qatar tour. Are the last two things that I could do by myself, without a tour guide?

Lastly, I have done lots of research, but if you have any other advices, do send them my way!

Thanks in advance,

C

Doha, Qatar
Destination Expert
for Qatar
Level Contributor
2,435 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Needing advice on my trip to Doha in January 2014

You don't need a travel agency to book a hotel, you can search TA website and book a hotel which fits within your budget.

Regarding tours in Qatar, below are the links of main tour operators, you will not have to get private tour as that will be very expensive, these tour operators usually mix you with other groups.

http://www.qataradventure.com/

http://www.qittour.com/

http://www.qia-qatar.com/

http://www.arabianadventureqatar.net/

Regarding doing solo touring in northern Qatar, it is possible to do it alone, but you will have to rent a car with GPS,

Camel racing, well you have to check if there are any camel races on going during the time you are visiting. Camel racing track is not very far away from the city, you can probably stop over on your way to north of the country.

General advice would be to dress a bit modestly, cover your knees, sleeveless is fine but cover your shoulders, avoid see through material. Jeans and trousers are fine.

Qatar is a very safe country and you should have absolutely no problems here, but use common sense.

Have a pleasant trip in Qatar and if you have more question feel free to get in touch

Take Care

Beast666

Doha, Qatar
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Needing advice on my trip to Doha in January 2014

Hi,

I would suggest you contact Arabian Adventure Qatar at info@arabianadventureqatar.net. They are the best and most professional among all tour operators listed by Beast666. I have used them for myself and my friends and our experience have been all good. You will not be disappointed.

Welcome to Qatar!

Doha Resident

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Needing advice on my trip to Doha in January 2014

Qatar Inbound Tours arranged us a desert tour with camping. A professional and skilled driver in the sand dunes Sha Sha..i recommend them.. info@desertsafariqatar.com

Manchester
Level Contributor
108 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Needing advice on my trip to Doha in January 2014

Just wanted to ask why you choose Qatar as a place to visit?

Far more exciting places than There. Having lived there for over a year its not a place I would go apart from stop over, work or to see friends.

Just asking......

Doha, Qatar
Destination Expert
for Qatar
Level Contributor
2,435 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Needing advice on my trip to Doha in January 2014

@ alanst

Qatar is a wonderful place to visit, Qatar has a lot to offer.

You may not have liked Qatar that is your personal choice but for most of us living here, it is a wonderful place. We encourage more people to come and visit Qatar.

Take Care

Beast666

Manchester
Level Contributor
108 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Needing advice on my trip to Doha in January 2014

I appreciate people living in Qatar make the most of it. We all do. But a holiday destination?

The OP is best spending valuable vacation time and money elsewhere in my opinion.

Qatar has a long way to go before it becomes anything more than a stop over.

Doha, Qatar
Destination Expert
for Qatar
Level Contributor
2,435 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Needing advice on my trip to Doha in January 2014

@ alanst

You are entitled to your opinion but I do not appreciate you discouraging people from visiting Qatar.

Take Care

Beast666

Manchester
Level Contributor
108 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Needing advice on my trip to Doha in January 2014

I'm just being honest. Maybe the OP has other reasons and motives for visiting Qatar. Perhaps she's coming to explore before working here or something.

But lets be honest here. Qatar has no scenery, no real culture or history and even the camels are now raced with robots or a drill on their back with a whip attached followed by the trainers in their aircon land cruisers with the remote control !

Lets get real and give an honest overview of the country and not just one from the tourist board.

New Brunswick...
Level Contributor
74 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Needing advice on my trip to Doha in January 2014

I am also looking at vacationing in Qatar for a couple weeks in December and was wondering if i need a visa before i leave, i'm in Canada, or, if i just get it at Doha airport.

Manchester
Level Contributor
108 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Needing advice on my trip to Doha in January 2014

You can get visa on arrival at the airport if you are a Canadian passport holder. Cost about $35