We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Qatar changes flights, big stopover now

Which Doha hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
bucharest
Level Contributor
408 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Qatar changes flights, big stopover now

Hi,

I booked last month 2 tickets from Rome to Kuala Lumpur, with small stopover in Doha on both flights. ( under 3 hours ) . I leave on 2.april . today i checked my bookings and on the page there was a message telling me that some flights were cancelled and others modified. I did not receive any messages / mails/ calls from Qatar Airways . I checked the modifications and indeed the flight from Doha to KUL is moved later and i have now a 14 h layover .

Will they give me the transit visa and accommodation for this period ? Because i have no other flight sooner and it`s not my fault that they modified the schedule .

Regardless to say that on my return flight , my flight from Doha to Rome leaves before my flight from Kul to Doha :) hahahaha , i don`t know how this will turn out .

If i get a transit visa will i be able to visit the city or i will be locked in the hotel ?

Thanks in advance.

1. Re: Qatar changes flights, big stopover now

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:48 pm, June 07, 2016
bucharest
Level Contributor
408 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Qatar changes flights, big stopover now

Hi,

I am trying to reach them, i have to talk to the office from Rome , i`ve send them an email but no response. I`ve contacted their office in my country but they told me that Qatar is rerouting this issues to the office that sold this tickets to talk to all the clients.

I will most certainly contact them at any cost before my departure because it`s unacceptable to stay 14 hours on a chair because of them and no prior notice.

mk
Level Contributor
33 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Qatar changes flights, big stopover now

We are in a similar situation with a 2 hour stop over now being 10 hours.

Our tour operator was trying to get us to pay for airport lounge use or a hotel day room, I notice that in the past people on here have said that Qatar airways have given free visa, transfers, hotel and food. Does anyone know if this is the case more recently?

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
848 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Qatar changes flights, big stopover now

QATAR airlines sell tickets at good prices.Unfortunately, they usually come with a long wait because you got a good price. If your travel agent is trying to get you to pay for the lounge in Doha he is giving you good advice. Personally I would not wait 10 or 14 hours in Doha airport it would send me crazy. Take the lounge option as a minimum

bucharest
Level Contributor
408 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Qatar changes flights, big stopover now

@charlie : it`s not like it was my option to buy a ticket with a long stopover, when i bought the ticket the layover was 2hours and 45 minutes . They cancelled the flight,put me on the next one, they did not even sent me an email to notify me, and i have no connection flight on my way back . I understand the good price / long layover policy, it`s normal but this wasn`t my choice, if i knew i would`ve bought from other company at that time , same price. I thought that they are a reliable company. My bad.

@paul : i talked to qatar office in my country and said that they should give me the visa package, but the office from my country can`t do that , i am waiting to get in contact with the roma officeon monday, today is closed.

Leicestershire...
Level Contributor
1,033 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Qatar changes flights, big stopover now

I think that it is often the case that Travel Agents sell you the cheaper package to ensure that they get your business or blame the airline if 'best option' is now not available.

Think the lesson to be learnt is - book online direct with the airline! if then any problems you have direct point of redress. The price tends to be cheaper as well as no agent fees...

@constantin - who failed to contact you, agent or airline?

If all else fails and you do have a longer stopover i would also agree with @charlie - pay for the Oryx lounge option, Doha airport is very small

bucharest
Level Contributor
408 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Qatar changes flights, big stopover now

@billa55: i bought the tickets myself, directly from their website . I know their policies and conditions, this is not about them .

I haven`t receive any emails from qatar or qatar`s offices in Rome who issued this tickets , and this is not normal at all . It`s like the worst customer care ever , never thought that could happen . I hope i will get the accomodation package from them .

Leicestershire...
Level Contributor
1,033 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Qatar changes flights, big stopover now

@constantin - certainly seems to be a mess, and to be fair not usual QR practice as they are set up as a transit airline. as this seems to be their fault i would assume that they will give you a transit package? if this is the case you get an entry visa and will be able to explore the city and will not be 'locked' in your hotel. please update us all as to what happens as this will be a good reference for future travellers who experience the same problem.

bucharest
Level Contributor
408 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Qatar changes flights, big stopover now

I have been in contact with someone from qatar airways reservation office, he change my return flight and fix the situation so i can catch a return flight back home but for the outbound he just said no, I have to sit 14 hours there . I tried to get more info out of him but nothing, he just kept saying not possible without any explanations.

Don`t know what to do . I also send an e-mail to tell-us@qatar , but i am not hoping for an answer :) I will try to talk to them again in Rome and also in Doha when i arrive , my guess is that they have a limited number of visas and hotel rooms and since a big flight was cancelled they first take care of the ones that paid the most .

Any other advices ?

Vienna
Level Contributor
4,140 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Qatar changes flights, big stopover now

Consider a different airline next time - it is crazy to wait 14 instead of 3 hours - they are buying many planes but cannot handle it.