We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Solo female traveler

Which Doha hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
4 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Solo female traveler

As a senior citizen (67 yrs), I enjoy traveling and often must take adventures by myself.

What's the cultural position in Doha of women touring alone?

When I was in Dubai a few yrs ago, I was stared at - alot.

Erarmn

Doha, Qatar
Destination Expert
for Qatar
Level Contributor
2,351 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Solo female traveler

Hi, Things are much better here, although, you will be stared at but no one will bother you.

Just try to dress modestly and you will have no problems. Modestly would mean atleast knee length skirt or trouser. Top not too low on the neck and should not be see through

Beast666

Leicestershire...
Level Contributor
1,033 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Solo female traveler

Hi,

Travelling alone is not normally an issue in Qatar, it is also considered one of the safest places in the ME.

As with any ME country dressing conservatively will stop any (most) staring and in the more popular (tourist) areas you will usually not be given a second glance.

Qatar is very different to Dubai and is more based on culture rather than tourism. Plenty to see and do if you make the effort to explore.

Bill

Doha, Qatar
Level Contributor
79 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Solo female traveler

I know lots of single women, most western, that live alone in Doha and are just fine. Its a very safe city. I'm not sure why you were stared at, but to avoid unwanted attention ensure that your shoulders are covered and your skirt/shorts go to at least the knees.

4. Re: Solo female traveler

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 pm, August 21, 2013