We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Couple with different nationalities transiting in Doha

Which Doha hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Cape Town, South...
12 posts
Save Topic
Couple with different nationalities transiting in Doha

First of all, I apologize as I know there are many topics about transit, I have gone through them, but have a couple of questions.

We are a couple of different nationalities :

Me - Malaysia passport

Husband - South Africa passport

Our return flight from Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia) will be transiting in Doha for 18 hours, before our next flight Doha-Cape Town(South Africa).

Flight arrives at 12pm, leaving at 7am next morning.

We are not eligible for the hotel/transfer package, as it is not the first flight out. We opt for this long transit because of a big price difference. (The other flight was 7 hours transit).

So now I know we have 3 options:

A) Oryx lounge

B) Spend the time in airport - probably bored to death

C) Visit Doha for the day.

We are interested in visiting Doha, seeing the time we have.

Question is

1) I got this link from another thread.

http://www.qatarembassy.net/visa.asp

Does this mean me (Malaysian passport) can apply for entry visa upon arrival, and husband (South Africa passport) need to apply beforehand?

2) If yes, will I get the entry visa upon arrival for sure? Dont want to risk one getting a visa and one without.

3) If we need to apply visa beforehand, how do we get on to it? Can we apply online?

Leicestershire...
Level Contributor
1,033 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Couple with different nationalities transiting in Doha

Malaysian passport holder can get visa on arrival, South African must apply before getting here. A 2 day 'in transit' visa (i think) can also be arranged via the airline as you hold ongoing tickets but you would need to check that with them to make sure before you fly.

Doha, Qatar
Level Contributor
79 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Couple with different nationalities transiting in Doha

Yes, go out and visit Doha! That should be a fun experience! Its a great city.

The visa thing shouldn't be an issue. You can get a visa on arrival, but your husband should contact the nearest Qatar Embassy and arrange for a visa. It shouldn't be a big deal. In addition, you could contact Qatar Airways and see if they could help you at all.

Have fun in Doha!

Cape Town, South...
12 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Couple with different nationalities transiting in Doha

I contacted Qatar Airways, and the person said that they can only apply a visa for us IF we book accomodation as well. Is this true? I don't want need accomodation, I would just sleep over at the airport or buy the Oryx Lounge for the night.

Any idea / confirmation about this?

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
1,033 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Couple with different nationalities transiting in Doha

Hi ShuWen_A,

The person at Qatar Airways might be referring to this with regard to the requirement to book an accommodation:

qatarairways.com/ae/en/transit-accommodation…

If it's correct, I think the cost of USD125 for your husband is not that bad as both of you may use the room to get some rest after going out and about in Doha in the evening. Compare that to the price of access to Oryx Lounge which is USD39 per person (USD78 for both of you), although admittedly you get unlimited food and drinks if you opt for Oryx instead of going out of the airport.

Leicestershire...
Level Contributor
1,033 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Couple with different nationalities transiting in Doha

The QR package at $125 should be considered as it includes visas and hotel transfers. As mentioned it would cost you $78 for the Oryx lounge. Also 18 hours is a long time to spend in any airport ... the exit visa will let you see Doha and have a comfortable bed for the night.

Cape Town, South...
12 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Couple with different nationalities transiting in Doha

Thank you so much for all your responses.

Ok - We will be considering the QR package for my husband, which I can tag along to sleep in the hotel, while I get my Visa on Arrival.

For confirmation:

Although it is said that nationals of Malaysia (me) will be granted visa on arrival, is there any risk to them not giving it to me on the day itself?

Just want to make sure that I will not be in a situation where hubby has QR package and I am stuck in the airport. Haha..

Cape Town, South...
12 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Couple with different nationalities transiting in Doha

Also, can i "tag along" with hubby's QR package of hotel + airport transfer.

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
1,033 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Couple with different nationalities transiting in Doha

Hi ShuWen_A,

The risk is always there but I'd say it's very minimal & close to zero in your case as you hold a Malaysian passport and you have an onward flight ticket/ boarding pass to South Africa the next morning.

Upon your arrival in Doha, just get off the bus at the Arrivals and proceed direct to the immigration counter (there is no separate counter for visa). Once you are at the counter, just hand over your passport and credit/debit card to the officer for your Visa on Arrival and payment of QR100.

I'm not sure about tagging along with your husband for the airport transfer. But... even if you're not allowed for the airport transfer, both of you can always take a taxi to the hotel.

Edited: 9:42 am, July 31, 2012
Leicestershire...
Level Contributor
1,033 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Couple with different nationalities transiting in Doha

Hotels here book 'per room' so i would be amazed if they did not let you share the transfer car / bus. I have yet to hear of anyone being refused entry with a valid passport that is included on the entry on arrival list which yours - malaysian - is. Sure that it will be fine.

10. Re: Couple with different nationalities transiting in Doha

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, August 07, 2013