We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

W or intercontinental

Which Doha hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
57 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
W or intercontinental

Hi,

my family and I having a 3 night stopover in early Jan 2013. Interested in doing tourist stuff like a desert/sand dune tour and local attractions. The beach is not a priority. However, what is important is walking distance to a nearby shopping mall. Have narrowed down our choice of hotel to the Intercontinental or the W. Which hotel is within walking distnace to a shopping all which has a supermarket and possibly a movie theatre and great restaurants. Would those in the know please advice.

Thanks so much

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
623 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: W or intercontinental

Raff: Both W Hotel and Intercontinental hotel are very close to "City Center Doha" which is the biggest shopping mall in Qatar. The mall has super markets, cinemas, food eat outs, ice skating ring...you name it its there. So location wise either hotels is no problems at all.

I have stayed at Intercontinental hotel in Qatar and its superb. Very luxurious and of course expensive. So if money is not an issue, I would definitely go for Intercontinental hotel.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
623 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: W or intercontinental

If you are looking for sand dune tours, the tour company to use is http://www.qataradventure.com

We definitely wont go to sand dune tours, because

[a] Its boring

[b] Nothing to see in the desert, expect for sand dunes.

[c] The tour is basically using a Toyota four wheel drive on the Sand Dune at a high speed by expert drivers.

We used it a long time back and found it as a waste of our time. Unless you are an sand dune lover, you wont like it.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
623 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: W or intercontinental

This is the normal routine for Tourists in Qatar:

• Take a drive to Corniche and see all the tall buildings over there.

• If time permits visit the Islamic Museum in Corniche. Trust me it is very beautiful and worth it. (not to be missed)

• Visit Pearl Qatar in the Corniche area – need to go in the morning. Very beautiful. Don't go in the evening.

• Visit City Centre (shopping mall) in Doha again at Corniche area.

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
848 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: W or intercontinental

The w would be my choice as it's a better location to be able to walk to a local mall. The intercontinental is on the beach next to katara. It would only be my choice if I wanted the beach. However jan 2013 is not beach weather.

The w is next to city centre mall and you could use local taxis as there is a taxi rank at city centre.

The intercon is nice but old and expensive. However there is a new intercon just opened opposite city centre mall. So if you were using priority points that would be a better option.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
57 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: W or intercontinental

thanks everyone. Very useful info.

Leicestershire...
Level Contributor
1,033 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: W or intercontinental

The 'W' is new and quite a 'magnet' for the expat community at the weekend so expect a lot of people in the evening. Very good standard though.

The Intercontinental used to be one of the top hotels in Doha, it is getting tired now - also full at the weekends with people using the club / bars.

There is a new - Intercontinental City - just opened a couple of weeks ago. I have been there and it is superb.

The 'W' and the 'City' are literally in walking distance of the City Mall. Both are however 'landlocked' so no beach facility. The old Intercon has a superb private beach so it would depend on what you are looking for as it involves a taxi to get anywhere as it is a bit out of the way. The weather is usually around 20-25 in January so you should bear that in mind as well maybe?

If shopping is a 'must do' then visit the italian styled Villagio Mall, its out of town but also next to the national football stadium which is also worth a visit. You can also eat out at the 'Torch' restaraunt at the stadium, its a 360 revolving and gives stunning views over the city of a night time.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
57 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: W or intercontinental

wonderful advice on the hotels. Thanks so much. Looking forward to the trip

8. Re: W or intercontinental

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:16 pm, June 18, 2013