We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transit in Doha for going 12 hrs and return 14 hrs

shah alam
Level Contributor
7 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Transit in Doha for going 12 hrs and return 14 hrs

Will be travelling to Milan on April via Qatar airlines, the transit time for going will be 12 hrs ( arriving 12PM to 00:55) and coming back will be 14 hrs (arriving 5:05 to 20:00). wondering what I can do to maximize my transit time in Doha. Planning to visit Souq Waqif on first visit and on return goes to Museum of Islamic Art, is the timing suitable?Appreciate if there are suggestion, Rgds ab

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
1,033 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transit in Doha for going 12 hrs and return 14 hrs

Depends on the day of your transits, as the Museum of Islamic Arts is closed on Tuesdays. (For details, check: www.mia.org.qa )

I personally think that you can cover both Souq Waqif and Museum of Islamic Arts during your first transit, if it's not on a Tuesday. You'd probably be out of the airport latest by 1.30pm, from where you can grab a taxi and head direct to the Museum and stay there until around 4 or 5 or even later if you like (closed at 8pm on Thurs - Sat, 5.30pm on Sun, Mon and Wed) Afterwards you can take a stroll along the Corniche and enjoy the sunset. From there you can walk over to Souq Waqif to have a look around and maybe have your dinner there as well. Afterwards you can grab a taxi back to the airport once you're ready.

The reason I'm suggesting Souq Waqif for either very late afternoon or early evening is that a lot of shops and restaurants are closed in the afternoon; and the area is more livelier in the evening. There's a Malaysian restaurant in Souq Waqif by the way, called Sri Kebaya, but then I guess you probably should try some local dishes instead :-)

shah alam
Level Contributor
7 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transit in Doha for going 12 hrs and return 14 hrs

HI,

Thks for the info and suggestion. Will be transiting at Doha on Thurs, and coming back on Sunday the following week. Suggestion looks good.

Rgds,

ab

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
1,033 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transit in Doha for going 12 hrs and return 14 hrs

Forgot about the 2nd transit. For Sunday, you might want to check out:

- Katara Cultural Village

- Villagio

- Pearl Development Project

And perhaps go back to Souq Waqif again during daylight at around 4 (if you haven't, during you first transit) and see what's like. There's an area full with camels nearby, not sure what it is called - but on Google map, it's next to Al Khoot Fort, near the carpark behind Souq Waqif, and on Al Souq Street.

I'd say you can grab a taxi back to the airport at around 6 for your 8pm flight, as you'd have had your boarding pass already and just need to clear the immigration and security.

Have fun, and safe travels.

shah alam
Level Contributor
7 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transit in Doha for going 12 hrs and return 14 hrs

Hi,

Thks for recommending, will do just that.

B Rgds,

ab

shah alam
Level Contributor
7 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transit in Doha for going 12 hrs and return 14 hrs

Got the opportunity to go to the Doha city during my transit on both going and coming back from Milano.

On my 1st transit, did go to the museum, cornicle and souq waqif. Nice to see the places, the taxi cost us QTR 30 on way.

On our 2nd transit, spend time in the airport to sleep and later went out to the city, didnt go the place suggested as we were tired, on re-visited souq waqif to buy nuts, spices, and sweets. Got unpleasant experience while having lunch at the Iranian Restraurant, which I will not recommend for non speak arabic to go there. The taxi for going to souq waqif to and back cost us only QTR 15 one way

Singapore, Singapore
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Transit in Doha for going 12 hrs and return 14 hrs

So whats recommended if i have a transit from 2am to 2pm on a Saturday?

Leicestershire...
Level Contributor
1,033 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Transit in Doha for going 12 hrs and return 14 hrs

Saturday is still classed as the weekend although a lot of people do work now. Nothing really opens or starts to move until after 8am so your time of arrival couldn't be worse! The malls will be open if you fancy a shopping tour?

8. Re: Transit in Doha for going 12 hrs and return 14 hrs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, June 08, 2014