We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Never take Qatar Airways

Which Doha hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
1 post
Save Topic
Never take Qatar Airways

I took round trips from NY to Shanghai, two things to share with everyone.

1. I had six hour stopover at Doha, Oryx Lounge is pretty good choice. It cost US$40 for shower, food, TV and internet. It's worthy. 2. My return fight had mechanical problem before took off, we stuck in cabinet for FIVE hour! no explanation in Chinese. People were panic like hell. Finally we were allowed back to terminal. It got even worse, ground staff was using cellphone to help us switch flights, unbelievable! I not even get any compensations.

-Chung

Lincoln, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Never take Qatar Airways

ALARM-ALARM_ALARM

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE Download the Montreal Convention Documents that protect Qatar from everything from the moment you leave until you arrive back also download their Terms and Conditions before you book.

Edited: 4:01 pm, April 13, 2012
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
623 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Never take Qatar Airways

Qatar airways is technically a good airline to fly with.

Some of the positive aspects:

[a] Good and big planes used in the Europe and US Sector.

[b] Good food and in-flight entertainment.

Negative aspects:

[a] Almost all cabin crew have an attitude problem. This is not isolated with Qatar Airways but is common with Emirates and Etihad also.

[b] Old and small planes are used to fly in the Asian Sector and also in Australian sector.

I do not fly with them because three times we flow with them and they were a HUGE disappointment and their inflight customer service was dreadful. You ring the bell to call the cabin crew and they won’t even come or even bother. Moreover we were flying with an little infant.

London
Level Contributor
91 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Never take Qatar Airways

I have been reading the above posts with interest. I have flown a few times with Qatar Airways and they have been excellent.

Of course, there is no airlines that is 100% perfect and often it is the bad attitude of staff that reflect badly on the company. However, from my experiences with Qatar and the review's online, they appear to be better than most.

Last year, I had to change flights on the day off the flight when I had a death in the family and they were excellent. They did the changes and I was told that I would be charged appx £300, which I accepted according to the terms and conditions of the ticket. A short whiile later, manager called me back and waived all the fees. Furthermore, they also changed my return flight to the UK, which coincided with Airport strike day whilst I was in Bangkok and were extremely helpful in dealing with this.

I have found Qatar to be punctual, efficient, professional with modern planes and good in flight entertainment.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
623 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Never take Qatar Airways

Javed817: As said Qatar Airways flights and aircraft's are really good. It is the cabin crew that can either ruin or make your trip enjoyable. Yes they are very punctual in takeoff and landing. Never had any issues with that. In most cases they are before time or on time.

Croydon, United...
Level Contributor
858 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Never take Qatar Airways

Oh please. They were not voted the best airline in the world in 2011 by Skytrax for nothing. They have a record of excellence that speaks for itself. Take a look at the ample reviews of this airline on www.airlinequality.com. They consistently achieve high scores of satisfaction from passengers. They average 9.0 out of 10 based on customer satisfaction. Now take a look at all the other airline reviews and overall score.

No airline is faultless, of course, but Qatar get it right most of the time. No, I am not an employee of Qatar Airways, nor do I have any affiliation with them.

I would sympathise with you had you flown with any other airline.

Well, I'm looking forward to flying on Qatar Airways in 2 weeks time!

Level Contributor
55 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Never take Qatar Airways

I did man-DOH-mel with Qatar in feb and found them excellent , nothing was too much trouble for the crew and they were coming through the cabin every 30mins with drinks and anything else that was requested. Looking forward to booking again soon

Leicestershire...
Level Contributor
1,033 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Never take Qatar Airways

I have also read the comments with interest. Having travelled on business for 30 years i have used many different airlines. I use Qatar Airways on a regular basis these days as find them to be better than most. Not perfect and i agree that at times cabin service can be slow. However planes are mostly new, food is eatable, free drinks available, in flight entertainment is good and updated, seat pitch better than most so what more do you want? As to those who have complained ... please tell us which airline you now use and why you deem them to be better?

Whitby, Canada
Level Contributor
604 posts
689 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Never take Qatar Airways

Having flown on Air Canada, American, United, Qantas, Alitia, Air France, WestJet, Air India, Kingfisher, British Airways, Thai Airways, Vueling, Air Transat, Jet Blue, South West, and countless other carriers, I can honestly say that Qatar Airways is one of my favourites (top 3 easily).

Doha, Qatar
Level Contributor
79 posts
Save Reply
19. Re: Never take Qatar Airways

Is this a rant or a question?

One bad experience does not represent the whole airline. They were voted the world's best airline for the second year in a row, so that says something.

The mechanical problem is something they just have to deal with. I'm sure they were trying hard to fix it. Yes, they should have let you out earlier (there are even laws about that) and they should have made Chinese announcements.

As for the cellphone use, why do you care? As long as they got you on a different flight, how does it matter what method they used?

So the only real problem I see is that they didn't let you out of the plane during the delay. You can file a report with them for that.

Once again, and I'm speaking to everyone, just because you had a bad experience doesn't mean the whole airline is bad.

I myself have never had a bad flight with Qatar Airways. And I've flown with them at least 50 times in the last few years.

@poppy81104 No disrespect, but I can't even understand what you are saying. You seem to be ranting, and I can't understand what your specific complaint is. You seem to be just badmouthing them without a specific complaint.

Melbourne, Australia
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
20. Re: Never take Qatar Airways

Qatar Airways is a shambles. I would rather walk! In 60 years of air travel I had never missed a connecting flight, been ‘bumped’ off a flight or not had my luggage accompany me, that is, until I had the misfortune to fly recently with Qatar. They achieved all three within the space of 14 days! To top it off, when my delayed luggage was found it was delivered to the wrong address despite the delivery docket clearly showing the correct address which some incompetent had overwritten with the incorrect street number. Their ground staff are arrogant, provide misleading information and are unsympathetic (except for one lady on the transit desk in Doha). The flight attendants are incompetent (start serving food and no wine on the trolley, requested white wine arrived 30 minutes later after repeated reminders, was warm and delivered by Mr Grumpy). Food items started to run out after serving just one row of passengers. Actually this was a bonus as the quality of the food is pretty average. The beef dish, for example, was five tiny pieces of meat in a soggy bed of rice. How they won the World Airlines Award this year and last year is beyond me. Singapore and Cathay Pacific, to name just two, are streets ahead of Qatar. Yes, I would rather walk!