We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

International Communications in Doha

Which Doha hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
GAUTENG
4 posts
Save Topic
International Communications in Doha

Hi all

I will be moving to Doha next month and need some info on the cost efficient and reliable methods of communication with family back home in South Africa. Basically I need to use voice and video like that of Yahoo Messenger. My current mobile phone is not 3G compatible but can use GPRS. Hence I will acquire a new phone or card in order to connect to the net.

All help and advice about setup and cost would be appreciated.

Regards,

Kabir Singh

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
173 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: International Communications in Doha

Re. buying a Qatar sim card/mobile phone, see here tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294009-i3512-k161… .

Else, once you have gotten Internet access via Qtel, you can use Yahoo Messenger or Skype or Jajah without problems. I was always using Skype when I was there between 2006 & 2007.

GAUTENG
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: International Communications in Doha

Hi

thankyou for responding. i did see the post about the mobile phone, seems easy enuf. Do you know whats the latest technology in terms of internet connectivity e.g. wireless, ADSL, 3,4G etc?

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
173 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: International Communications in Doha

Wireless & ADSL no problem. Not sure about mobile phone technology though. Maybe ask in this forum: www.qatarliving.com as it's full of people living in Qatar.

GAUTENG
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: International Communications in Doha

OIC. Thats great. Will check the other site at home cos my server at work blocks it.

Thanks again

5. Re: International Communications in Doha

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, September 17, 2009