We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

questions regarding Qatar Airways hand baggage

Montreal
Level Contributor
1,812 posts
148 reviews
Save Topic
questions regarding Qatar Airways hand baggage

Hello:

I just booked a flight on QA. I was sent some info including the following:

Economy Class

One piece not more than 20X15X10 inches (50X37X25cms) weighing not more than 7Kgs (15Lbs)

The cabin bag must not contain any liquids, gels, creams or aerosols.

The hand baggage we usually travel with is slightly larger than what's listed above, and is at the limit of most other carriers hand baggage. It's our hiking packs, and most of our trips are hiking trips, and we always used our packs as our hand luggage. Other carriers tend to have 10 kg. allowances on hand luggage. Dh has heavy camera equipment he'll be taking, that he won't be checking.

My questions are:

1. How strict is QA regarding hand baggage?

2. Should we pack our hiking packs with our main stowed luggage?

3. What's the deal with liquids, gels, creams or aerosols? Usually you're allowed if the amounts are smaller than 100 ml., and if they can fit in a 1 L zip lock bag. What about medications that should stay with the person?

Thanks,

Kay

88 replies to this topic
Bellingham...
Level Contributor
708 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: questions regarding Qatar Airways hand baggage

I found this statement on Qatar's website regarding liquids:

"You may carry liquids, gels, pastes, and aerosols in containers up to 100 ml (3.4 oz) in your hand baggage. Containers larger than 100 ml will not be accepted even if only partly filled. Your containers must be carried in a transparent, resealable, quart- or liter-sized bag no larger than 20 x 20 cm

(8 x 8 in.). All items must fit comfortably in the plastic bag.

You are required to produce your transparent bag of liquids separately for security screening. There are no restrictions on baby foods and medication. However, you may be required to present a prescription for medication you want to take onboard."

The 7kg limit for carry-on is not unusual for many foreign airlines, but my experience is that the strictness varies greatly. Qantas, for instance, is very strict. On Lufthansa, I've occasionally had a staff person test the weight by just lifting my carry-on and if statisfied tagging it so. Others publish the limit but seem not to really check weight at all.

You can often carry on your camera separately but it may be limited to one camera around your neck so put your heaviest lens on that one.

Montreal
Level Contributor
1,812 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: questions regarding Qatar Airways hand baggage

Thanks Comcox. In doing a bit of a search on this forum, it seems that Qatar is strict with weights. I think we'll have to use our hiking packs as checked baggage, which makes me a bit nervous as I'd hate them to get lost, which is why we like to travel with them.

I checked their site more extensively and according to the site a purse or a camera is considered apart from the 7 kg. limit.

Leicestershire...
Level Contributor
1,033 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: questions regarding Qatar Airways hand baggage

As a frequent flyer with QR (every month LHR-DOH) one of my complaints is that QR are very lax on what they allow on board as hand luggage, overhead locker space gets very sparse, i have seen people come on board with two suitcases then complain that there is no where to stow them!

As suggested put your heaviest lens on the camera and put it round your neck! you are also allowed a seperate bag for laptop so same would apply for a camera.

liquids must be in a sealed container of no more than 100ml capacity as with all airlines, these then taken on board in a transparent sealed bag.

Montreal
Level Contributor
1,812 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: questions regarding Qatar Airways hand baggage

Thanks Bill!

West Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
27 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: questions regarding Qatar Airways hand baggage

I travelled with QR for the first time on the 27th November 2012 from LHR-DOH-PER and they were very strict at check in at LHR after weighing my main luggage I then had to weigh my cabin luggage, I had already heard that they were very strict so I kept to the exact weight allowed and size of hand luggage. You are allowed a camera, but if you take a laptop then you arent allowed a handbag, as I had both I made sure my handbag was big enough for my laptop to fit into and then when through customs I put it in my cabin baggage as it is then not checked again.

Hope this helpsl.

Montreal
Level Contributor
1,812 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: questions regarding Qatar Airways hand baggage

Thanks lovetravel. Your post definitely helps. I've read a couple posts mentioning that QA are strict, so I'll err on the side of caution.

K

Pickering, United...
Level Contributor
38 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: questions regarding Qatar Airways hand baggage

I have only just spotted this and couldn't agree more with Brilla55. Just had 4 flights with Qatar. They board by row number and if you happen to be last then good luck on overhead space especially on flights between Doha and Columbo. A flight from Columbo to Doha this week had us with our land luggage (both within the size and both under 7k) under the seats in front as there was no over head space. At check in we saw a woman who visibily panicked when she was told to weith it, needed her partner to help her lift it on to the scales but not a word was said. There were others which looked heavy and weighed. They may weigh it as most seem to now but thats it, We always are within the limits, size and weight so it's really frustrating when there is no space. Awaiting on a reply from Qatar asking the questions.

Edited: 8:10 am, February 15, 2013
Leicestershire...
Level Contributor
1,033 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: questions regarding Qatar Airways hand baggage

If you are waiting for a reply i can make a suggestion ... dont hold your breath!

It really is a big problem with QR, as mentioned before i have seen far larger cases allowed on board than what i checked in as hold luggage!

I fly every month between DOH & LHR on business so see it on a regular basis.

Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: questions regarding Qatar Airways hand baggage

sorry for jumping on this forum.Would I be able to take my bicycle on long ditance 1 stoper qatar airways flight?

Edited: 7:04 pm, August 12, 2013
Leicestershire...
Level Contributor
1,033 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: questions regarding Qatar Airways hand baggage

would have to be checked in as hold luggage! people take such as surf boards, golf clubs etc so should not be a problem

Reply to: questions regarding Qatar Airways hand baggage
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted