We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

possible to self drive to Dubai?

NYC
Level Contributor
330 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
possible to self drive to Dubai?

We are considering a drive from Muscat to Dubai -we are a US family traveling with our 4 year old. is it possible to do this? what about Visa's for entry etc?

Muscat, Oman
Level Contributor
5,781 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: possible to self drive to Dubai?

Couple of things to start you off.

I do not know if Oman rental companies will allow you to take a rental car out of the country. So, maybe contact a couple of them to check.

It's a 4 1/2 > 5 hour drive. The 1st 3 > 3 1/2 hours are pretty boring. At the border it's quite pretty with mountains. It's a long drive with a 4 year old.

Visas are the easy bit, assuming US passport.You get will one when you enter Oman, when you leave you will get exit stamp, and then entry visa at the Dubai border post. Just queue up and visa stamped in your passport. When returning to Oman just reverse the process.

Have you thought about flying (approx 45 mins) then hiring a car in Dubai?

Edited: 4:32 am, May 05, 2013
Dubai, United Arab...
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
7,629 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: possible to self drive to Dubai?

For a first time driving, actually the views are not that boring, in my opinion. That said, you plan to exit from Dubai or Muscat? It would be relatively easier to rent a car from Muscat if you returned the vehicle there. International firms like Hertz or Budget would have the option of return location being different from collect location. Check the boxes for your International and National Drivers Licenses; Car being insured for both countries; coverage of CDW as well as full insurance while you rent the car; necessary paperwork from the Car rental firm for inter-GCC usage.

UAE gives a free 30 days visa to US passport holders, which you can get at the border.

Muscat, Oman
Level Contributor
5,781 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: possible to self drive to Dubai?

vasu8 - Are you sure that Oman rental companies allow you to take their vehicles out of Oman. I know it is not the case with Dubai rental companies, some do some don't. I am not saying you are wrong, and I don't know the answer which is why I suggested that it was worth checking.

Muscat Governorate...
Level Contributor
110 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: possible to self drive to Dubai?

I've taken a rental car across to Dubai quite a few times now... you need to have letter from the company stating that they give you permission, and you need to collect the actual molkea ... not the photocopy like most rental places supply.

You will also need to check that they have UAE insurance... very easy to buy at the border if they don't have it... Zubair leasing does this for you, but other companies i have had to do it myself. Very easy, before you get your stamp in your passport go to the insurance counter and they will issue. I don't recall the cost for saloon car, but its OMR 15/- for 10 days for a 4x4.

Dubai, United Arab...
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
7,629 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: possible to self drive to Dubai?

This is not a case of renting in Muscat and returning to Muscat. He wants to rent in Muscat and drop off in Dubai. Unfortunately Hertz are not doing this, as I found out. Like pointed out by hugedxb, it will be hard to find a rental company that does this.

Muscat Governorate...
Level Contributor
110 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: possible to self drive to Dubai?

Hmmm yes ou are correct... i have never found a place that has accepted a alternative country drop off.... be interesting to find out if there is anyone that rents in Muscat where this possible

Muscat Governorate...
Level Contributor
110 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: possible to self drive to Dubai?

wonder if anyone found places that do collection and drop off in different countries? Always good to know

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,882 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: possible to self drive to Dubai?

Just so people understand fully, the "molkea" that rjm mentions above is the ownership card for the vehicle.

9. Re: possible to self drive to Dubai?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, June 07, 2014