We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Entering Oman by road from the UAE.

england
1 post
Save Topic
Entering Oman by road from the UAE.

My wish is to fly to Abu Dhabi , overnight in Al Ain and then drive to Muscat for a weeks stay. To return to Abu Dhabi by the same route . Would appreciate any information regards car hire and the NOC/Visa problems if any! at the border crossing.

london
2 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Entering Oman by road from the UAE.

I lived in Oman until 2002 and things may have changed since then but you used to need to get a road permit to drive accross the border. I dont forsee any problems but you will need to organise this before you travel - best bet would be to contact the embassy. Oman is trying to open itself up to tourism now so this may well havechanged.

Cuckoo's Knob
Level Contributor
74 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Entering Oman by road from the UAE.

Expats resident in Oman have to get a permit to drive out of Oman. You, as a British tourist entering Oman, have to get nothing other than your passport stamped at the border. Look it up - it's all on here. Here's a starter for you:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294007-i4797-k555…

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
48 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Entering Oman by road from the UAE.

Getting into Oman from the UAE is no problem. I did it last September. You must stop, pay for a Visa, and get your passport stamped. No problems at all. You must also have your vehicle information with you.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Entering Oman by road from the UAE.

So sounds like from the posting:

1. No road permit is required

2. Visa's can easily be obtained at the border into Oman

So one further question. Finding it very difficult to get a rental company to allow me to take car from Dubai to Oman. I thought National would, but apparently they have changed policy. Hertz will not either. Any other companys that will allow you to take their rental car across, and is there additonal fee?

Level Contributor
247 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Entering Oman by road from the UAE.

Things have changed recently in the last few months. Friends who went last week said there is now a definite border post between Oman and UAE instead of the previous arrangement. I would check first.

Regarding rental cars what about AVIS.

6. Re: Entering Oman by road from the UAE.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:07 am, October 10, 2006
vienna
Destination Expert
for Lower Austria
Level Contributor
13,600 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Entering Oman by road from the UAE.

A recent addition to the tour companies in Vienna- Red Bus City Tours.

www.redbuscitytours.at

I know nothing more about them other than to see the " Red Bus" driving down the street.

Bus leaves from Lobkowitzplatz- just across the street from the Albertina.

vienna
Destination Expert
for Lower Austria
Level Contributor
13,600 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Entering Oman by road from the UAE.

Sorry - hit wrong keys.

The Red Bus does not run that far.

London, United...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Entering Oman by road from the UAE.

I would like to know whether it would possible for me to drive from Abu Dhabi to Muscat ? we are 2 girls travelling. How long does it take ? which rental car company in UAE allows us to take the car to Oman then ? thanks ;-)

Muscat, Oman
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Entering Oman by road from the UAE.

Best guess it will take 5 -> 6 hours.

Will you taking the car back to AD from Oman or leaving it there as I think that some of the bigger car rental companies will allow (and charge) for renting the car in AD and leaving it Oman. I know that you can do this from Dubai. Google to find AD rental companies.

One of the keys to the above is to make sure that the rental insurance covers you in Oman, you will not be permitted to enter Oman without coverage there. You can buy insurance at the border post, but of course they will charge you big time!

UK passport holders are on list one which means you get visa, on demand, at the border post.

Border procedure.

Dubai -> Muscat

Just after Hatta is the UAE Border Post.

Get an UAE exit stamp in your passport. Drive on.

Go through security checkpoint (Omani) and get form, keep it.

Drive to Oman Border Post (big building) and park the car.

Queue up to get visa form and pay OMR6.

GCC residents only pay OMR3 per passport.

Fill in the Visa form and queue up again to get Omani entry stamp in your passport.

Back to the car and drive through passport control on the side of the building.

Drive on ~2kms and hand in your security pass that you got above.

Muscat -> Dubai

Arrive at Omani Border Post where you got the entry visa.

Just before you get there stop at small hut and get an exit pass for OMR2.

Drive up to where you get exit stamp in your passport, it’s on the side of the building.

They will stamp your passport and stamp your exit pass, keep it.

Drive on & you will eventually get another small hut where you hand in the exit pass.

Next stop is UAE Border Post. Get Entry stamp in your passport.

At the same window they will give you entry pass.

Drive to entry gate and hand in your entry pass and you’re done.

Get answers to your questions about Muscat Governorate