We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Muscat Hotels

United Kingdom
2 posts
Save Topic
Muscat Hotels

Hi there, I hope you can help me. We will be travelling to Muscat on 28 April and staying for 8 nights. I have been 'looking' at the Grand Hyatt and the Intercontintal (not Al Bustan), can anyone confirm that both of these hotels are on the beach? Also, are they near to the city of Muscat itself. How long would it take in a cab to get into the city?

Are any new hotels scheduled for completion prior to our arrival - they often do special rates when they've just opened!

Thank you for your help.

Level Contributor
247 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Muscat Hotels

Both hotels are beach hotels, meaning public beach. The Intercon is more set back from the beach than the Hyatt. The only hotel with a private beach is the Al Bustan. No new hotels due for completion. Both hotels are in Shatti which is a more upmarket area, mainly embassies. Where in the city do you wish to go? Muscat is made up of little suburbs put together often each with its own shopping district. Its about 20 minutes from the Souq, however Qurum shopping area is about 10 minutes drive.

United Kingdom
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Muscat Hotels

Pinkmatty,

Your answer has helped me to make up my mind. As both hotels are located on the beach the decision is going to be pretty subjective. I'm veering towards the Hyatt only because the rooms look very well appointed. I will of course visit the souq whilst we are there as this is only 20 mins away.

Thanks for your help.

Level Contributor
247 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Muscat Hotels

Personally I prefer the Hyatt, especially the beach area. In the afternoons locals come and play soccer on the beach and then you can forget going on the beach, however, they dont really play on the Hyatt side of the beach much. If you walk along the beachfront there is alittle path where a lot of people walk, ride in the evenings. Along there after 5 mins are restaurants, and shopping centre with Costa Coffee, Starbucks and other shops and restaurants. The Hyatt also has a shuttle bus once or twice a day to Muscat's only western style mall, City Centre.

London UK
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Muscat Hotels

Suggest you buy Lonely Planet Oman & UAE guidebook.

Muscat is in reality 3 adjoining towns. 1st 'hotel' zone which includes most big hotels involves a very long super beach but most hotels are other side of promenade road (about a 3 mins walk).

Next town is more business related. Next is Port with Souk (a must to visit). Then the Palace.

Between each its a taxi ride, but not expensive.

Its about 15 mins drive from Seeb airport.

I've been twice in 2004 & am taking family in Feb 05.

eno
the Netherlands
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Muscat Hotels

Hallo,

i'm coming from the Netherlands and and we are going to visit Muscat from the 4 of august until the 10 of august 2005.

We are lokking for a hotel on the beach and not that expensive, if you come back can you advise us,

thank you

eno

muscat
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Muscat Hotels

Hi, This is Sharad here, living in Muscat for past 11 years. Both Hyatt and Intercon are right on Beach. Both of them are in middle of Muscat city itself. The whole city is small enough for you to get fromm any point to any point in less than 20 minutes.

At the moment new hotel are not getting ready. The beautiful Bar Al Jissa resort will still take many months before it opens. There is another beautiful hotel CHEDI closer to the airport again having its private beach. But I think you will love it in Intercon as most of my British friends who visited Muscat.

Muscat, Oman
Level Contributor
85 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Muscat Hotels

Hi there whishful thinker.

This is neel, living in Muscat for the last 24 years. Bothe the hotels that you have mentioned would rip you off in terms of prices - approx 210 us$ per room per night. Also both the hotels beaches are open to public.

Since you are staying for 8 nights, you would not want to be located in an isolated area where access to anything would be difficult. Only hotel atxis available which would cost you a bomb.

An option would be Radisson SAS hotel, one of the nicer city hotels in town and they also offer a complimentary shuttle service to Oman aviation club which has access to a PRIVATE beach and only the hotel guests & members of the club are allowed. Since it is located in the city it would be easier for you to go out and enjoy Muscat in its natural beauty.

Regards,

Midlands
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Muscat Hotels

It is so interesting reading Neel's post. I lived in Wadi Khabir near Ruwi in the 1980s and loved every minute of it. I worked on the Times of Oman and spent time in Muttrah, Muscat, Nizwa and so forth. Is the Mina Hotel still there near the Corniche? I miss it all very much. The Al Bustan was being built as I left. It is fascinating that the private club is still running.

I fainted in the bar there once! Heat exhaustion.

Muscat, Oman
Level Contributor
85 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Muscat Hotels

Hi Bowie,

Yes the Mina hotel still exists near corniche. If it has been a long time since you have left Muscat, it would be a good idea to visit the place again. Muscat has changed a lot in the past few years. It gets better & better. But yes i do agree, the heat could kill you. However, the winters are extremely pleasant here. Do hope you do plan to come to Muscat during your next holiday.

Regards,

Midlands
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Muscat Hotels

Thanks for your reply Neel. I'm not sure I would return to Muscat. I had originally planned to go back to work at the InterCon but there was a muddle with visas and I stayed in the UK instead.

The time in Oman was so magical I think it would be a mistake to try and re-capture those wonderful days. Funnily enough while the other ex-pats were using their time on a Friday to go wadi bashing or to Dubai I didn't do those things.

I got two further jobs - working on Oman TV and on a radio programme plus helping out with promoting the InterContinental hotel. You were probably arriving as I was leaving.

There was a Sheraton being built with a bowling alley I recall. Also the journey out to Seeb airport was almost empty except for a few shanty dwellings - I bet that has filled in now.

The best New Year's Eve ever was held at a hotel run by a charismatic Greek hotelier who really knew how to throw a party!

I often wonder who lives in my ground floor flat these days.

Shirley