We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Americans in Beirut

Which Beirut hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
NYC
1 post
Save Topic
Americans in Beirut

I plan on visiting beirut in August 07 for a week. I'm looking for some feedback on what the attitude is towards Americans there. I do not trust US Media for accurate conditions. Is it really a safe place ( i believe so) ? I'm interesting in the historical sites, nightlife, and shopping. I'm also interested in any greek communities, as I am greek american. Appreciate any feedback.

-Thomas

Beirut, Lebanon
Destination Expert
for Beirut
Level Contributor
349 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Americans in Beirut

we will be glad to have u here anytime u want , the situation these days is politically unstable ,hope things will calm down by summer time which is the busiest period of the year , Beirut becomes the refuge to millions of tourists in the summer , and its practically safe to be on the roads all day and all night , too many intersting places to go to in and out of Beirut , U never got the chance to see the night life in Beirut on TV coz the media concentrates on the negative news to attract more viewers, hope u get the chance to see for urself and judge

as for greek communities , there are a lot of Greeks who live in Lebanon , but i never heard of a community , i personally am Lebanese following the Greek orthodox church . but never heard of a Greek gathering or group .

check this site hope it will give u an idea to places where u can go . www.downtownbeirut.com

or www.beirutnightlife.com ,

please dont hesitate to email me at rogerkoo7@yahoo.com for more info .

Detroit
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Americans in Beirut

Just look for yourself on yahoo travel reviews

http://travel.yahoo.com/p-reviews-486711-prod-travelguide-action-read-ratings_and_reviews-i;_ylt=Al4mKQc7dIAtlqrh9gkGETJJN2oL

Beirut
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Americans in Beirut

I am an American living in Lebanon since Sept 06. I travel freely throughout the country and have never sensed any anti-american sentiment. The Lebanese are like everyone else, they want to live in peace, work, get paid and take care of their families. You are welcome in Lebanon anytime and wil find it liberating as it's safer than NYC, from a crime perspective. As a Greek American, you'll be at home here.

Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
774 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Americans in Beirut

Hi Thomas,

Very wise of you not to trust US media!

Lebanon is a great country and the Lebanese are wonderful people!!

Have a great time

Beirut , Lebanon
13 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Americans in Beirut

Hi Thomas,

Please check on your messages

Thanks

Beirut , Lebanon
13 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Americans in Beirut

Hi Thomas,

Please check on your messages

Thanks

New York
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Americans in Beirut

hey Thomas, just came across your post. I am a Greek -American married to a Lebanese man and I think you will absolutely adore Lebanon. We visit every summer (exept last) and plan to be there this August. Hopefully all is well (politically) till then.

Lebanese culture is just like Greek culture and the land of Lebanon is so similiar to Greece as well. I adore the country and love the people. The night life is great as well.

I have met plenty of LEbanese people with some ties to Greece and to Greek heritage.

Don't reconsider your plans, unless situation changes. LEBANON is AMAZING and I love it as if it is my own country. I pray for its peace and democracy.

Penny

New York
3 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Americans in Beirut

hey Thomas, just came across your post. I am a Greek -American married to a Lebanese man and I think you will absolutely adore Lebanon. We visit every summer (exept last) and plan to be there this August. Hopefully all is well (politically) till then.

Lebanese culture is just like Greek culture and the land of Lebanon is so similiar to Greece as well. I adore the country and love the people. The night life is great as well.

I have met plenty of LEbanese people with some ties to Greece and to Greek heritage.

Don't reconsider your plans, unless situation changes. LEBANON is AMAZING and I love it as if it is my own country. I pray for its peace and democracy.

Penny

New York
3 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Americans in Beirut

Penny

connecticut, usa
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Americans in Beirut

I will be going to Lebanon on May 9th to shoot a documentary. I am a college student from Connecticut. I will be there two weeks. I am interested in crossing the border into syria...how safe/ possible is this?