We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beirut in June as a photographer?

Nomad
Level Contributor
35 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Beirut in June as a photographer?

Hi everyone,

I've been getting pretty excited about a trip to Beirut in late June but it's been brought to my attention that photography may not be well received in the current climate. Any truth to this?

I'm a street photographer which means that I like walking around the city and taking candid photos of everyday life. Am I likely to run into problems? Are there specific things or areas that I should avoid photographing?

Any feedback or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
6 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beirut in June as a photographer?

Hi Lewcid,

It depends on the regions. In general, you should not have any problem, unless it is a sensitive region, like the southern suburb of Beirut, or Tripoli nowadays. In such areas, it is recommended to ask before shooting. Otherwise, in Beirut town center, and other areas, you can take as much pictures as you want.

Lebanon
Destination Expert
for Lebanon
Level Contributor
2,644 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Beirut in June as a photographer?

It is not allowed to take photos of military personnel or military vehicles unless requested in advance. It is not allowed also to take photos of the naval base located just near Beirut Port.

On the other hand it is allowed to take pictures at the Mleeta Resistance Tourism Landmark of any type of used or captured arms in the war in south Lebanon. www.mleeta.com

Other emblematic and photogenic places outside Beirut could be the Chouf Cedars Nature Reserve in the Chouf Mountains www.shoufcedar.org , the Cedars Reserve and the Qadisha Valley in North Lebanon and the old souks in Sidon reflecting old life style in Sidon.

Regards

Nomad
Level Contributor
35 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Beirut in June as a photographer?

Thanks for the feedback. Yes I assumed photographing anything related to the military would not be a good idea, and that would be fine.

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
1,728 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beirut in June as a photographer?

Taking pictures of veiled women might not be appreciated....

Beirut, Lebanon
Level Contributor
7 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beirut in June as a photographer?

Hi Lewcid. There are places where you cannot take pictures if you have a professional cam whereas you can with an iPhone! Strange yes but a good example is Zaytouna Bay, a place that your cam will love but is not allowed to function :). You may try though to get the permission from the administration prior to shooting :). Anyway if you have any doubts in certain limited pkaces it's always better to ask first. Enjoy shooting!

6. Re: Beirut in June as a photographer?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, May 13, 2014