We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Back from Lebanon :)

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
170 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Back from Lebanon :)

Marhaba habibis. I've just returned from an amazing 8 days in Lebanon. Here's what I did:

Signed up for three tours with Nakhal Tours (www.nakhal.com) -- these guys are very good, and I'd strongly recommend them. I went with them to The Cedars/Qadisha Valley, Tyre/Sidon/Maghdouche, and Baalbek/Aanjar/Ksara Winery. All three tours went ahead without any problems. They pick you up from, and drop you off at, your hotel once the tour's done. The lunches were most satisfying as well.

Now as for safety: I never felt threatened by anything in Lebanon (except when I got into random mini-troubles with the police but that's another story). Going to Baalbek/Aanjar in the Bekaa Valley was not an issue either. Sure, it's Hezbollah territory but as some have pointed out, it's probably one of the safest areas in the country. Same goes for the south of the country. But as always, keep track of the news out of the country. The Daily Star is a good option.

Beirut itself is party central. You need to see for yourselves how the Beirutis live it up -- I felt ugly walking the same streets as some of them (OK, maybe I exaggerate but it's true that a large number of them are image-conscious). Do note that you can't go anywhere near the government area in downtown Beirut because it's cordoned off by security personnel. If you want to visit some of the churches and possibly the only synagogue in Beirut, you can't. I tried, at several checkpoints. They simply refused. And yes, don't take photos of the Holiday Inn. I did this too, which is why I got into a bit of a situation with a police fella. Apart from that, Beirut is quite walkable and has some awesome cafes and bars.

So yes, Lebanon is safe, Lebanon is gorgeous, and Lebanon stole my heart.

What are you waiting for? :)

Penrith, Australia
2 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Back from Lebanon :)

Thank you! I'm sure Lebanon is much safer than the media makes it seem

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
170 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Back from Lebanon :)

Yes it's safe. I don't think anyone would be recommending it otherwise.

I've put up more details of my itinerary on my blog if anyone is interested:

kevuthemusafir.blogspot.com

Kyiv
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
320 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Back from Lebanon :)

Thanks for sharing! Wish there were more photos...

P.S. But can't help noticing that your entry about Lviv contains some misunderstandings ;) In particular, it was grossly wrong to assume that "Kyiv seems to turn east towards Moscow", which has never been the case. In fact, the entire Rus (including a much, much younger Moscow) originated from Kyiv.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
170 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Back from Lebanon :)

Aha!

That was just the sense I got. But thanks for pointing that out. An edit is in order. :)

15. Re: Back from Lebanon :)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, April 07, 2015