We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

More Safety Concerns

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
5 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
More Safety Concerns

My Lebanese husband and I are scheduled to leave for Beirut June 23rd to visit his family for a month. Half of the family live in Baalbek and the other half live in the Beirut suburb of Dahiyeh. I have been watching the local news closely and am getting pretty nervous about traveling there. My husband is also a little hesitant considering our family lives in areas that are heavily controlled and monitored by Hezbollah.

I don't know if I am reading too much news which is making me paranoid or if my concerns are valid. Has anyone been to Baalbek the past few days? How is the situation on the ground right now?

Lebanon
Destination Expert
for Lebanon
Level Contributor
2,260 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: More Safety Concerns

The Roman Temple of Baalbeck in Baalbeck District (Qada) is 2 hours drive from Beirut, 1 hour drive from Umayyad Castle in Anjar, Zahle and Chtaura in Zahle District (Qada), 2 hours drive from Damascus and 2 hours drive from Homs city in the Syrian Province of Homs.

Baalbeck Temple and Anjar Castle are both UNESCO World Heritage Sites.

Both sites can be visited in a one day trip from Beirut, and both open from 9 a.m. till 5 p.m., 7 days a week

Entrance fee to Baalbeck Temple is 15,000 LBP - 10 USD

Entrance fee to Anjar Castle is 7,000 LBP - 5 USD

2 hours is a good average time to visit Baalbeck Temple, 1 hour is a good average time to visit Anjar Castle.

Cheers

Lebanon
Destination Expert
for Lebanon
Level Contributor
2,260 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: More Safety Concerns

Hi,

There is absolutely no danger visiting any tourist or archaeological attractions in the Bekaa Valley. There is as well no danger visiting any of the wineries in Central and Western Bekaa Valley.

Rockets from Syria were fired only on villages in the Hermel District. Villages located one and a half hour drive from Baalbeck Temple, three and a half hour drive from Beirut City Center. In the Hermel District (Qada) there is no tourist and archaeological sites to be visited by foreign and domestic tourists, there is no reason for you to go there even if there is no news of escalating tensions. A lot of tourists from different nationalities still visit different tourists spots in Lebanon despite news of escalating tensions which escalate than calm down.

Thanks a lot

Lebanon
Destination Expert
for Lebanon
Level Contributor
2,260 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: More Safety Concerns

Lebanon is a special destination country, it appeals to people interested in archaeology, history, wineries, local cuisine, ski resorts, spa, eco-tourism, dark tourism, religious sites,...it does not appeal to people interested particularly in sandy beaches such as the West Indies, Italian Riviera. Rio de Janeiro, orthe Golden Coast in New South Wales

The cruise line Abu Merhi has already resumed its operation in the main East Mediterranean sea ports as of April 1, 2013 www.abumerhicruises.com

Mleeta Resistance Tourist Landmark estimates that 30% of the museum visitors are from countries such as Australia, Canada, England, and the U.S.A. www.mleeta.com

Please do visit Lebanon whenever you feel useful for your special interests

Thanks

London, United...
Level Contributor
24 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: More Safety Concerns

There are absolutely no guarantees when it comes to Lebanon - it's always on a knife edge - but I wouldn't worry unduly. I'd personally still be more than happy to visit at the moment (am just about to book tickets for a trip towards the end of the year).

If it's your first visit, you're likely to have a great time - Lebanese are incredibly friendly and hospitable.

HA themselves simply aren't worth worrying about; they and their affiliates haven't harmed any visitors to Lebanon since the end of the civil war 20+ years ago. If memory serves me correctly, when the war ended, they actually banned the deliberate targeting of westerners. The worst you're likely to get from anyone involved with them is some suspicious questioning.

Baalbek currently remains fine to visit, as do most of the tourist spots in the Bekaa. I wouldn't travel north or east of Baalbek though, and I'd also definitely avoid Tripoli until things calm back down there.

When you are visiting, in the unlikely event that anything does seriously kick off between HA and Israel (or HA and Sunni groups), get yourself to somewhere which never sees any conflict - places like Jounieh, Byblos, Batroun and the Qadisha are always totally fine, regardless of what's going on around them.

Edited: 1:53 pm, June 01, 2013
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
5 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: More Safety Concerns

Thank you for your advice. My fears are slowly calming. I appreciate it!!

6. Re: More Safety Concerns

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, June 04, 2014