We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kuwait in General - Before you go or decide to go

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
2 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Kuwait in General - Before you go or decide to go

Kuwait is a lovely city, but if you are American and a first time visitor here are some things you need to know:

- Alcohol is ILLEGAL and punishable by law. If drinking is not your thing you will be fine. But if you enjoy a glass of wine (or something stronger) with your dinner you will be OUT OF LUCK. Do not attempt to bring alcohol into the country unless you believe serving jail time is worth the risk. Your bags will be checked before entering the country. At best, it will be confiscated but again, not worth the risk.

- Ladies, keep your arms and legs covered even if it is 120 degrees outside. Respect the culture. It is not a major infraction to have an uncovered head although I am sure the Mosques have different rules. To be honest, I am not sure if mosque tours are permissible to non Muslims and women as we did not attempt to visit.

- Public displays of affection are not cool. Limit affection within the confines of four walls.

- Overall, the people are very lovely but single ladies will find themselves followed in public places such as open markets. It is very innocent and do not get freaked out.

- There are a lot of Americans working in Kuwait and they are VERY socialable and will show you a great time if you can find them.

- For a really good time take a day or two and visit Bahrain for some good old fashioned fun. There are great bars and restaurants there. Senor Pacos has the best Mexican food and Margaritas in the world. So yummy and the service is impeccable - not to be confused with being expensive.

- The tower is pretty boring although the story behind it (which you will learn during the tour) is pretty interesting.

- We went to an open market and I had some of the sweetest corn on a stick! Sounds hokey, but yummy!

- In short, my recommendation is to go directly to Bahrain and spend a day in Kuwait via a very quick flight.

- Beautiful gold jewelry if you are into gold although I did not buy any. I often struggle with buying expensive jewelry abroad that I can't return if it later turns green. LOL!

Al Shaheed Park
Other Nature & Parks, Gardens, Parks, State Parks
Grand Mosque
Sacred & Religious Sites
Mirror House
Art Museums, Points of Interest & Landmarks
1. Re: Kuwait in General - Before you go or decide to go

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:21 am, October 15, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Kuwait City