We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visa On Arrival April 2013

Dubai, United Arab...
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Visa On Arrival April 2013

Hi,

I'm planning to travel to Iran in a few days and I planned to get a Visa On Arrival at Tehran (French National).

I heard that the VOAs have been suspended because of the elections. Can someone confirm that?

Has someone experienced a VOA in the past few days?

Thanks for your help !

Remi

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Visa On Arrival April 2013

Hi, I posted a related question at lonely planet but still got no reply. I would like to go next week. But some Iranian people I know told me it is not a good idea at the moment.

Did you get some more info?

Dubai, United Arab...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Visa On Arrival April 2013

Hi,

I just come back from tehran. No problem at all to get a Visa On Arrival and the situation is normal in Tehran.

I just spent the week end there, then I stayed in Tehran. I loved the city, the people, the food...

Enjoy !

Remi

Shiraz, Iran
Destination Expert
for Iran
Level Contributor
1,321 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visa On Arrival April 2013

Hi

Of course everything is normal.

The reason that some advise not to go on arrival during this period is that tourism officials (MFA) are a bit more strict about individual travelers. There are higher chance of not being approved and that can be a

disaster when you are at the airport. So it is better to be on the safe side.

regards,

Mojtaba

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Visa On Arrival April 2013

Unfortunately I couldn't manage to go in may. June is impossible both for me personally and also regarding the elections. What about july, is it recomendable to visit Iran then, regarding the temperature?

Edited: 5:17 am, May 16, 2013
Shiraz, Iran
Destination Expert
for Iran
Level Contributor
1,321 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visa On Arrival April 2013

Hi

It is definitely warmer in July but it depends on where you are exactly going. There are areas where the temperature is cool and nice to visit like the north west and a bit of north

but generally it is hot in most areas. 30 - 38 degrees C in most central parts can be too much for Europeans.

regards,

Mojtaba

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Visa On Arrival April 2013

Hi Mojtaba,

38 degrees with low humidity shouldn't be a problem for me. How are the people/culture in the north-west? I understand it is a mixture of kurds, azeris, armenian. Is it in general the same as in other parts of Iran? Do they also speak persian since one goal of my trip is to learn a bit more persian. What sites are there to visit?

Shiraz, Iran
Destination Expert
for Iran
Level Contributor
1,321 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visa On Arrival April 2013

Humidity is low in most parts except for the north.

Best weather would be in borth west and west like areas near Tabriz, Ardabil, Urumia, Sanandaj and Howraman.

the culture is more or less teh same in different parts. It doesn't matter whether they are Kurd or Azeries but

there are slight differences like most in Kurdish areas, the traditional clothes are different. They wear colorful and cheerful clothes esp women.

They may use both their own language or a mixture. It depends on teh area of course. In tabriz and some other, they rarely use Persian.

Kurds use more Persian. In Kermanshah, mostly use Persian.

yeah, it would be a great opportunity to pick up some Farsi. We had people settling 3 month to do it and they improved fast.

There are plenty of attraction like Kandovan, Howraman valley and stone hotel, Palangan village.

Here are world heritage sites like Takhte Suleyman near takab, Soltanieh near Zanjan, Masjed Kabood (mosque), Saint Stephanus church, etc.

I guess there will be a long list. lol

Mojtaba

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Visa On Arrival April 2013

Thank you so much for your extended reply Mojtaba!

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Visa On Arrival April 2013

How about this invitation letter? I read on various visa service websites that you have to arrange that by yourself, what is the added value of such a visa service? And how do I get such an invitation?

I read that from may 1 until june 20 there will be no visas issued. My summer vacacion starts begin july. Is it a good idea to travel via Istanbul, try to get a visa at the Iranian consulate there and then continue my trip to Tehran? Would I also need an invitation letter this way?

Edited: 4:46 am, May 20, 2013
Shiraz, Iran
Destination Expert
for Iran
Level Contributor
1,321 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Visa On Arrival April 2013

welcome.

The invitation letter is actually an authorization code from Iranian foreign ministry (MFA).

There are many agencies online who get you this code in 7 - 14 working days. Most charge between 35 $ - 60 $.

Some tourists have got their visa without this code but it doesn't always work.

Once you have the code, you can pick up your visa in a few hours or 1 day.

The current situation is very unpredictable. We get some visas very fast and some very late. But in general visas are being issued very close to arrival.

There shouldnt be any issues in July. If you are going to pick up your visa in Istanbul, you should certainly have a code cuz the tourist success with direct application has been in their own home country.

I never heard any tourist having problems in Istanbul embassy. Usually it takes less than a day or 2 at most.

I hope that can help.

Mojtaba