We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Iran travel

Durban, South Africa
4 posts
Save Topic
Iran travel

My husband and I are considering travelling to Iran in August. Is it advisable as most travel agents advise against it due to security concerns. Is it child friendly for a 2 year old?

Thanks.

Kyiv
Destination Expert
for Kiev, Ukraine
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Iran travel

Babak,

Of course, I'm "neither an Iranian nor an expert about Iranian culture". And - mind you - never said I was!

Whenever you see an erroneous info, posted by me or any other member, you are more than welcome to correct it. I post based on my own experience of travels to Iran. As such, this information is of course doomed to be subjective. All other opinions and different experience are more than welcome and only enrich the forum.

I can't help noticing you seem to miss a substantial difference between the attitude of a local and a traveller to Iran. What seems okay for a local is not necessarily fine and should be ignored by a traveller.

You might find it helpful to learn that TA forums are not solely for “locals and experts about culture” to post on. And forum guidelines forbid challenging other members’ right to post on the forums.

And it is only from a combination of locals' and travellers' views, knowledge and experience that the forum readers, specifically those planning a trip to Iran, can benefit.

Edited: 6:52 am, January 29, 2013
Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
73 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Iran travel

Hi, Ayesha_bayat,

I'm sure most of the people who replied know more about travelling to Iran / travelling with a 2-year old child than I do - but I think that if you do go with a pre-arranged tour group, rather than an individually arranged tour of Iran, you'll find the trip will include many visits to beautiful mosques, palaces (in Tehran), National Jewels Museum, and sites of historical interest like Persepolis, etc. I just wondered if a 2-year old would really appreciate these wonderful sites?

I'm guessing my younger family members would have been bored and fractious if I tried to take them on that kind of tour! But maybe your 2-year old is better behaved and not suffering from 'the terrible 2's' as we call it. If so, congratulations!

Apart from that, someone already commented that Iranians love children which is true - both their own and other people's. But I'd advise you arrange a tour which isn't too hectic.

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
73 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Iran travel

It's me again - I forgot to say does it have to be August? It's very hot (but maybe you're used to that, I'm from UK and I'm not, obviously).

It's not like you can take your 2-year old down to the beach to paddle and cool off, unless you're heading for the Caspian Sea region.

I am planning to visit again but I've decided to wait until September/October to see what happens ... and also when the weather will be perfect for me.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
23 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Iran travel

Iran is wonderful to travel solo, with kids, or whatever.

It is very safe. And even if there will be protest, thery will be in Tehran and maybe some other big cities. But that is not a problem for tourist anyway. Of course you wont involve.

I am sure that people will be so friendly to you no matter what. And your child is lucky that he or she will have such an oppurtunity to go there.

Shiraz, Iran
Destination Expert
for Iran
Level Contributor
1,321 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Iran travel

Hi Ayesha_bayat,

I guess you have got much advise already. reg the way you seem to travel and your young kid, you should go for some sort of arranged tour.

The only issue at this moment is to read about Iran and search possible options which may interest you more and satisfy your kid. You certainly need a light plan with less compact visit as the little one gets bored easily.

Once the election is over, you can easily decide (of course if you do not mind the weather.)

As you know, Iran is a 4 season country and there are even chilly places in mid summer but you should mix it with the major attraction which are mostly centrally located.

regards,

Mojtaba

Shiraz, Iran
Destination Expert
for Iran
Level Contributor
1,321 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Iran travel

sorry for hijacking but I think Cora has a point.

As a well-traveled woman, she knows how people may feel in such situation.

nobody likes to be caught in distressing situations and no-one can guarantee anything in an unrest.

In normal situations, yes Iran is a totally different from what foreigners usually have in mind about Iran(due to the negative publicity by western Media)

Both the skeptical ones and eager ones, find it beyond expectations.

and to Dear Cora,

common on. You already deserve the Iran expert title (though you may humbly refuse it).

I absolutely agree with what you say and everybody here knows how much help you extend to this forum by your reasonable and sophisticated views.

Keep the good job. :)

and to newcomers,

TA has evolved to be the most reliable online source as the moderators have kept the balance between, experts, agents, experienced travelers and newcomers esp on Iran forum.

I hope we can help keep this balance and avoid biased or unnecessary comments. I think both rumors and exaggerations are equally disruptive.

regards,

Mojtaba

The foreigners

Edited: 11:56 pm, April 17, 2013
Karachi, Pakistan
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
17. Re: Iran travel

Just come back after elections, it is very safe and I would take my kids anytime.

Hyderabad, India
2 posts
Save Reply
18. Re: Iran travel

Hi, Can anybody help me know which is the nearest airport to the Tehran University of Medical sciences? Thanks!

Hyderabad, India
2 posts
Save Reply
19. Re: Iran travel

Hi, Can anybody help me know which is the nearest airport to the Tehran university of medical sciences?

Shiraz, Iran
Destination Expert
for Iran
Level Contributor
1,321 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Iran travel

what do you mean?

There are only two airport in Tehran.

One is Mehraabad airport near Azadi square. This is only for domestic flights

The other IKA is 25 km out of teh city. IKA is for international flights.

regards,

Mojtaba