We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Saffron & pistachios & similar. Where to buy?

copenhagen
Level Contributor
22 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Saffron & pistachios & similar. Where to buy?

Hello everybody. I've looked at older postings and can't find a specific answer to this:

(1) i've heard that Iranian saffron is of superb quality and also cheap (for Europeans). Same story with pistachios, but what else of small, lightweight spices are good. Almonds?

(2) also, where to buy? My son will be in Tehran for an international sporting event next month, prpbably staying at the Morvarid hotel. I want to direct him to somewhere that's easy to get to and where he can buy me a few things quickly (boys hate shopping!,).or he just get saffron, pistachios etc at the airport on the way home?

Many thanks in advance.

Tajrish Bazaar
Flea & Street Markets, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Tehran Bazaar
Flea & Street Markets, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Kyiv
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
324 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Saffron & pistachios & similar. Where to buy?

Hi chillipeber,

Not sure which airline your son is taking, but if he flies to/from IKIA late at night or very early in the morning, better don't count on any proper airport shopping.

While he surely can find saffron and nuts in the shops around the city, the first thing that comes to my mind when it's about shopping for nuts and spices is certainly Bazaar. This is where you can find anything! :) And I definitely saw saffron and plenty (!!!) of nuts' varieties in Tehran bazaar.

The problem is Persian bazaars are in no way places to shop quickly. They occupy quarters, are easy to get lost in, and for someone who hates shopping can be a torture to browse around. So in your son’s particular case, perhaps the stores are the best way to go.

I should better leave it to the locals to advise on the shops, but perhaps letting know where your son is going to stay helps with naming the closest?

Also, I wonder if these earlier recommendations of Tavazo shops are still appropriate:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293998-i9139-k280… (posts #7, 8)

copenhagen
Level Contributor
22 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Saffron & pistachios & similar. Where to buy?

Many thanks Cora, that's really helpful. Especially your tip about limited airport shopping at very late or early hours. The Bazaar sounds definitely like the best bet - so now I've decide to persuade one of the sports club's trainers/chaperons to go shopping for me. Lucky teenager escapes the chore!!!

Tehran, Iran
Destination Expert
for Tehran
Level Contributor
423 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Saffron & pistachios & similar. Where to buy?

Hi chillipeber,

I do not recommend you to buy nuts and saffron from airport as the price is high and product is not as fresh as shops.

For somebody who hates shopping the best place is buying from shops. If he can spend around two hours then I recommend to buy from Tavaso shop which is located in Shariati Avenue.

http://tavazo-co.com/contacts_en.html

If he hates shopping even more then he can go to every confectionery shops and buy some nuts; although the quality will not be the best.

Good Luck,

Amir

Kyiv
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
324 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Saffron & pistachios & similar. Where to buy?

Now that is so smart to have a "backup shopper" :)

But then again, if they happen to hate it, too, the shops are really the easiest and fastest way (all compact; no bargaining, no tasting, all packed and priced etc). So take a note of Amir's recommendation above, too.

Shiraz, Iran
Level Contributor
188 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Saffron & pistachios & similar. Where to buy?

Hi chillipeber

You have chosen two best Iran souvenirs, although caviar too is another one. Your son can refer to the following address for buying both saffron, pistachio and a wide variety of Iran’s souvenir :

Valiasr St. before Parkway bridge ,on the right

It is near his hotel .Hope this time you get the answers of your questions,

Tehran, Iran
Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Saffron & pistachios & similar. Where to buy?

Hi chillipeber,

Amir hassan is totally right do not waste your money or time in the airport tax free shops, the products price are sometimes 2 times much more expensive. as Maryam said the best place to get Iranian Souvenirs is Tavazo in Vali-e Asr st. just before Parkway Bridge. In Tavazo your son can also taste every thing in advance for free, in this case he will be able to get those he likes. Iranian dry fruits are also very delicious, I recommend them to you.

let me know if you need any further information.

best regards

Sara

7. Re: Saffron & pistachios & similar. Where to buy?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 6:36 am, November 26, 2012
Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Geneva, Liechtenstein, Air Travel
Level Contributor
4,595 posts
508 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Saffron & pistachios & similar. Where to buy?

Another vote for Tavazo! They have several shops in Iran. New website:

http://tavazomotif.com/, with the various addresses (http://tavazomotif.com/subsidiaries.php).

@Maryam: if your son's hotel is Esteghlal, then this is a Tavazo branch... This is where I buy my pistachios and saffron when in Tehran!

9. Re: Saffron & pistachios & similar. Where to buy?

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 6:05 am, December 08, 2012
10. Re: Saffron & pistachios & similar. Where to buy?

Removed on: 6:05 am, December 08, 2012