We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Egypt and The Middle East.

Worcester, United...
Level Contributor
29 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Egypt and The Middle East.

This is more of a generic 'Egypt and the Middle East' query.

I'm interested in people's take on how safe it is to travel (on a shoestring style) around that area at the moment? I'm a SWF and will be more than likely travelling alone which I know doesn't sound like the smartest plan but from what I've heard I should be fine (particularly in Iran as I've heard nothing but glowing reports for that country from travellers). I'm mainly interested in Egypt, Jordan and Iran.

Any hints, tips, views etc would be highly appreciated.

Cheers - Kate

nb - I have posted this query under Jordan as well. I apologies for any cross overs or repetition of previous posts. Cheers :)

kuwait
Level Contributor
188 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Egypt and The Middle East.

My Egyptian colleague just came back from two weeks’ vacation in Cairo. Many of my friends, Egyptian and non Egyptian are traveling for holiday and business back and forth to Egypt and the business is as usual there. My personal advice is if you must go to Egypt, stick to the touristic areas and don’t stay out at nights just to be in safe side. And don’t discuss politic with locals.

Jordan and Iran are as safe as let say Dubai and Qatar. You don’t need to worry about a thing, ,as long as you are following common sense.

Edited: 2:05 am, April 16, 2013
Auckland Region...
Level Contributor
15 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Egypt and The Middle East.

I travelled through Iran, Jordan, Israel and Egypt late last year as a solo traveller (male). I would say without a doubt that Iran felt like one if the safest countries I've been in, and I met a few solo female travelers who said similar things. I felt more unsafe in Egypt - mainly as a result of the almost constant hassles from touts and people selling stuff, and their behavior which sometimes bordered on aggressive. People are much poorer in Egypt, and your tourist dollar means a lot more to them than Iranians.

I saw some amazing sites in both countries. I'd go back to Iran in a flash. Egypt I'm not so sure.

3. Re: Egypt and The Middle East.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, April 24, 2014