We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

To Tehran or not to Tehran??? That is the question...

Sint-Niklaas...
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
To Tehran or not to Tehran??? That is the question...

Hi guys.

I am looking to visit Iran on a short 8-day trip, together with my father. I am a travel agent, so i know the big outlines of this country but i am still struggling to decide whether to include Tehran in our visit.

I have flights set up with Turkish going to Shiraz. After that we could visit Shiraz, Perspolis, Yazd and Isfahan.

The end is not so clear as i can not decide whether to return to Shiraz and fly out or go from Isfahan via Qom tot Tehran and have a quick visit of things there.... Maybe just fly out of IKA and avoid town. We would only arrive there afternoon on day 7 and have a flight back home from IKA on day 8, around 1500. Any advice on how to fill that afternoon day 7 and morning day 8?

Hopefully you can all give me some good advice.

Kind regards and thanks.

Russia
Level Contributor
52 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: To Tehran or not to Tehran??? That is the question...

Well, we had the same 8 days schedule. We decided to make one day visit to Tehran. That was good decision. There are at least three "must see":

Treasury (National Jewels museum); National Museum and Museum of Islamic period (next door to the National Museum),

Kyiv
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
324 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: To Tehran or not to Tehran??? That is the question...

Hi Jan,

Agree with pointer_meta, except that my top picks in town were Reza Abbasi Museum, National museum and Treasury :)

As you may probably know, most travellers seem to visit Tehran for its museums and palaces, also - time permitting - Grand Bazaar and parks. So it’s up to you to decide whether these are up to your interests or not.

Also, many of Tehran sights have web-sites (I gathered some of them here: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293999-i9140-k534… ). So you can also ground your decision on the basis of the open hours - check if what you are interested in is open on your travel dates and time. Keep in mind Tehran traffic when planning on getting around and don’t be too ambitious.

Leamington Spa...
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: To Tehran or not to Tehran??? That is the question...

So you would recommend to go? I'm visiting my sister in Qatar for a couple of weeks and would like to visit Iran, Tabriz in particular.

It is safe for 3 single women to travel on their own? We have a guide organised.

Thanks

Shiraz, Iran
Level Contributor
188 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: To Tehran or not to Tehran??? That is the question...

Hi JanBogaerts,

First of all hope you a memorable travel to Iran. As you know Tehran is the capital of Iran with a lot of cultural, historical and natural attractions. Such as jewellery museum, Golestan complex, Tochal , Darband and etc. so, visiting Tehran in your first travel would be a good choice.

Tisovec, Slovakia
Level Contributor
57 posts
224 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: To Tehran or not to Tehran??? That is the question...

I would say this - if you plan not to come to Iran ever again, dont skip its Capital. Its an amazing city to explore. But if this is not most likely to be your last trip to Iran, then spend more time in the wonderful south. There is plenty to do - a day trip to Persepolis and Pasargadae, from Yazd you can do Chak-Chak and Kharaneq, Esfahan has plenty of sites to keep you happy for two days at least. Sometimes less is more ... from Esfahan, it is about 6 hours ride to Tehran, and you shouldnt avoid Qom and Abyaneh, maybe Kashan on the way - or you will be sorry that you just flew by. Eight days is very little for seeing it all, so I would recommend to see less but more in depth, and to breathe in the wonderful atmosphere of this amazing country.

Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
131 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: To Tehran or not to Tehran??? That is the question...

Just this morning I uploaded some pictures from my visit to Tehran, so judge by yourself if you think it's worth it:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/50719091@N07/

Basque Country
Level Contributor
98 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: To Tehran or not to Tehran??? That is the question...

A resounding YES to Tehran. It might be polluted, huge, perpetually congested and whatever else you can figure it, but it also has a vibe and a personality you won't find elsewhere in Iran. No visit is complete without making it to the country's capital.

Apart from the obvious attractions previous posters mentioned, a personal highlight for me was simply walking around the city, visiting its beautiful parts and, above all, appreciating the contrast between north and south as you walked up or down Vali-ye Asr Avenue.

Sint-Niklaas...
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: To Tehran or not to Tehran??? That is the question...

Thank you, i was feeling the same vibe browsing through website and seeing films on youtube. It seems now i have to change my flight plans and will fly in and out both on IKA airport.

My dilemma: only have 8 days and want to see 4 things: Teheran, Yazd, Isfahan and Shiraz I know it's much but i don't know what to leave out. I will be surely visiting this country multiple times but still want to get a good feel on my first trip. I'm afraid Tehran is worth the visit but only when you get time to stroll around and take it all in, which i don't have the time for.

Positive problems in life ;)

Sint-Niklaas...
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: To Tehran or not to Tehran??? That is the question...

Erik, beautiful pictures which only make me doubt more and more :)à) Thanks for nothing.

With what organisation did you travel?

Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
131 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: To Tehran or not to Tehran??? That is the question...

Dank je :)

What do you mean? Why would I travel with an organisation?