We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Update on Obtaining Iranian Visa in Dublin

Oxford
Level Contributor
19 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Update on Obtaining Iranian Visa in Dublin

I picked up my Iranian Visa in a day trip to Dublin this week. I had already got the Visa authorisation letter; a contact in Tehran applied for this through a local travel agency.

Top Tips:

1. The consulate (a freezing portacabin seperate from the main embassy building) opens between around 9-13:00 on Monday, Wednesday and Friday. I would advise arriving early - I got there at 9.25, they were already open and a few people there, but I was able to hand over my documents for processing straight away. By 10am the place was really busy and there was a long queue.

2. It takes about 2-2.5 hrs for the processing, you can leave and return to pick up, or sit and wait (bring warm clothes!)

3. If you are coming from the airport you can get the Aircoach which goes to Greystones. This bus goes up the road the emabssy is on and drops you a few minutes walk away (Mount Merrion stop). The bus driver tells you where to get off the bus and this costs 8E, compared to 40E for a taxi. It only leaves hourly (on the half hour), so if you just miss the 8.30 bus you might take a taxi to get there in good time.

4. You need an Irish postal order to pay the fee (150E for UK citizens). I got mine in advance, but there is a post office close by which they will direct you to (the only currency is postal orders in Iranian embassies world wide!). It costs an extra 3.70E for the postal order fee .

5. You also need to fill in the form from the website and take 2 passport photos (in hijab ladies) and your passport. No fingerprints or interview (for me anyway!).

6. They say it is possible to apply by post if you have the time and also the Irish postal order/Irish stamped return envelope. So you would need friends in Ireland to send you these first.

7. It was easy, the staff are friendly and there was plenty of chat to be had in the waiting room - mainly in Farsi of course ! Good luck!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
78 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Update on Obtaining Iranian Visa in Dublin

I wonder why the requirements for photos would be different here in Australia to those in Dublin. Our application form on the Iranian embassy website simply asks for two recent passport photographs and indeed my wife did provide just that without hijab late last year before our trip to Iran. Are you sure that the photo with hijab is a requirement?

Oxford
Level Contributor
19 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Update on Obtaining Iranian Visa in Dublin

That's what they told me!

London, United...
Level Contributor
52 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Update on Obtaining Iranian Visa in Dublin

Thanks for the update DrGinge. It's good to get info from someone who has actually done it. When are you off to Iran?

Oxford
Level Contributor
19 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Update on Obtaining Iranian Visa in Dublin

Easter!

London, United...
Level Contributor
52 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Update on Obtaining Iranian Visa in Dublin

Hope you have a great time - would be able to post the details of your trip: what you saw, any tips, what to avoid, any problems etc etc when you return?

Oxford
Level Contributor
19 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Update on Obtaining Iranian Visa in Dublin

Sure - although it's more of a visit to family rather than tourism and we will only be in Tehran.

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
73 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Update on Obtaining Iranian Visa in Dublin

Thanks DrGinge - someone in Dublin should start a little business buying prepaid registered envelopes with Irish stamps, then selling them to UK residents, so that they can apply by post. Any offers? I'd prefer not to fly Ryanair to Dublin just to sit in a freezing portacabin for the best part of a day.

#1 - Re: women wearing hijab/not wearing hijab for passport photos - why not put on a headscarf anyway and avoid problems? You can show lots of 'fringe' as long as the back of your head is more or less covered. These are the usual rules for women applying for visa/entering Iran, so it's probably best to go with the flow.

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
73 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Update on Obtaining Iranian Visa in Dublin

I forgot to ask .. didn't you have to pay extra for same-day stamping of visa? On the various websites offering to expedite visas+get them stamped into your passport, they say there's an extra charge for same-day service. Maybe things are changing from one month to the next and these websites are giving out of date advice?

Oxford
Level Contributor
19 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Update on Obtaining Iranian Visa in Dublin

Hi again - just to be clear about the cost - I didn't pay any extra for getting the visa the same day. In fact this seems to be standard when collecting the visa from what the guy in the consulate told me over the phone. It may well be different when you use a company.

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
73 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Update on Obtaining Iranian Visa in Dublin

Thanks for clarifying the situation. Some companies are offering to help you get your visa, but I just wonder if it's worth paying that extra cash when it seems so easy (even for UK nationals) to get it without extra help?

Get answers to your questions about Iran